Wild pork handling?

jkd4978

Should you still wear gloves when handling the meat after it has been frozen to avoid any disease or virus?

dog1

pork

jkd,

I really can't say about it being frozen, but just in the last few years started wearing gloves to clean them. I've cleaned so many hogs and deer over the years without gloves that I've probably got some type of funk running thru me.

dog1

tsknmcn

It would have to be in the freezer for 6 months to kill off everything. That's the recommended time for wild pork if you plan on making jerky where it doesn't reach a high enough temp to kill with heat.

jkd4978

jkd,

I really can't say about it being frozen, but just in the last few years started wearing gloves to clean them. I've cleaned so many hogs and deer over the years without gloves that I've probably got some type of funk running thru me.

dog1

Yea me too! I try to be a little more careful in my old age. I even wear gloves after I take it out of the freezer to prepare it for the smoker. Maybe it's overkill but I have read some bad stuff about wild hog diseases!

Public Land Prowler

They say after a long freeze it will kill the disease..IDK..I have cleaned over 200 between me and friends without getting any diseases,but I am sure I am just lucky.I've been trying to use gloves lately.

WolfPack

Banned
Better safe than sorry!!!

As for the after handling......just like with any other meat handling, wash hands good.

garnede

Glove up when cleaning, but once it has been frozen treat it like you would any other frozen meat. Wash your hands, cutting board, knife, etc thoroughly and often.

Taporsnap77

i dont i just wear the gloves cleaning although never failes i rip them, it is rare to catch anything from those pigs but granted it would suck if u did

rutandstrut

Glove up when cleaning, but once it has been frozen treat it like you would any other frozen meat. Wash your hands, cutting board, knife, etc thoroughly and often.

Sounds like good advice!

I wear gloves to clean them with! I thought that the Diseases that the Hogs carry is Blood born? You would have to have an open sore or cut and transfer the Hogs Blood to your Blood Stream...Once the Hog is cleaned and aged properly in a Cooler with Ice or in a Walk in Cooler prior to processing. I would think the risk of getting a Disease from them is very low!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Sounds like good advice!

I wear gloves to clean them with! I thought that the Diseases that the Hogs carry is Blood born? You would have to have an open sore or cut and transfer the Hogs Blood to your Blood Stream...Once the Hog is cleaned and aged properly in a Cooler with Ice or in a Walk in Cooler prior to processing. I would think the risk of getting a Disease from them is very low!

Agree..........I say use common sense, wether or not you glove up. WASH with SOAP and try not to touch a Spiget or anything with swine slime on your hands without cleaning it off really good.....I have only worn gloves once(Prefer NOT to), but ALWAYS Wash really good after wards...........I dont care if it is swine that was just hangin from my tree or ground beef from a Kroger pack.......

dbodkin

Not only wear gloves but watch the kids and animals... Pseudo Rabies will kill a dog, cat, cattle, goats, sheep...

See attachment

Attachments

• PseudorabiesBrucellosisFeralSwine.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 127

the r.o.c.

the c.d.c. and uga have done studies on wild hogs and highly reccomend the use of rubber gloves while cleaning and handling hogs. the main desease is brucellosis, contact with blood or reproductive organs should be avoided. wash with hot soappy water asap after dressing a hog. if you get flu like symptoms after handling a hog you should contact your doctor and tell him you need to be checked for brucellosis. this is according to the cdc and uga.

ClydeWigg3

I feel like gloving up to go in a public bathroom - I don't know how you clean a hog without wearing them.

TheBadfish

Freezing for 60 days will only kill parasites. Bacteria are still going to be viable. So it really depends on the microorganism of interest. I can't recall the names of them all, but better to be safe than sorry if it makes you feel better about handling the meat. There should be some anti-microbial marinades coming out in the future