Wilkes County Reports

Marsupial

Banned
Any reports from Wilkes? Doesn’t look like any white oaks this year on my place. red oak crop looks fair. Also not much in the way of muscadines or persimmons.

As typical on my place, getting mostly doe pics on trail cams and a few small bucks. Waiting for a mature buck or two to start showing up soon. Usually begins on my place early October.

I finally closed last week on an additional 30 acres that borders my land. Hunted it last weekend and first deer I saw was a really nice mature 8 pointer. He winded me at 75-80 yards at 8am.
Then at 9:00 five mature does came in. No fawns. I shot a doe at 25 yards and she crashed 50 yards away.
When I got down I found a huge community scrape that all the does we’re visiting. The buck was probably on way to check it if he hadn’t smelled me.
While I dragged out doe, saw a few more scrapes and several nice rubs. Gonna be a good spot!!!

Looks like we may get some rain week after next. Gonna finish planting food plots then!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I hunted down there opening weekend.

I didn't see anything Saturday. Even though the deer had been in the food plot everyday that week at aprox. 5:15. Lots of night time pics.

Hunted a different property Sunday morning. Saw one deer at 9:30. Sun got on me shortly after 10. I had to get down. Bumped into a deer on the way out.

cr00241

I’ve only went one time and it was brutal walking in. I know I stunk up the woods. Been getting good deer pictures and the shooter showed up the last 15 mins of legal time last night. Hopefully next week when I can go he will still be around. Usually when the weather drops the bucks leave me. Fawns on camera this spring indicated the does were bred around Halloween. Things should be getting good once this heat breaks.

deermaster13

I hope to be able to go this weekend and put the ole hawken to good use. Maybe taking my grandson hopefully as well. Been really dry and NO rain around Tignall, area

cr00241

It rained in Tignall yesterday. Actually the front of the property got some rain and towards the back where I want a foodplot didnt get a drop. The whole county needs a good steady rain.

JWT

Found a bunch of scrapes this weekend , didn’t hunt , had some decent bucks on cam cruiseing

cr00241

Found a couple of rubs when I got done hunting yesterday morning. I did some light rattling and grunting. Had a doe and fawn come running in after I rattled. Then I heard grunting and looked, it was another doe that came running in. I was going to shoot her but the momma doe ran her off and I couldn't pull back because the momma doe was facing my direction. Had a small back come cruising by too. Glad we got some rain and more is in the forecast for today.

deermaster13

Looks like a few nice ones killed this weekend. We hunted Sunday and seen lots of does but no bucks. Lots of white oaks dropping around the house. Sure glad to see the rain Saturday we sure needed it even if on opening morning. Good luck to all y'all.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I'm hoping for a good weekend forecast for Wilkes Co this coming weekend!!!
I wanna have a good time cookin and partyin and get these kids on some more bucks and pigs to kill!!!
I saw a lotta does and fawns last weekend, Nephew saw a good buck and killed it. But I'm tired of bringing half of rocky branch home with me under the truck!!! Too much rain for our road system makes it very VERY hard

cr00241

Bucks are on the move because they have left my property! Haven't gotten a good buck on camera in 3 weeks probably. Alot of does and young deer. Hopefully they will start coming back around with this colder weather coming. Seen some new rubs around my place.

deermaster13

Been a little slow.for me these last few days and then like a switch this morning was awesome. Seen 3 does and every one had a bucks behind her, 5 different bucks and one was a nice 8 but I couldn't get him to stop. I'm taking tomorrow off and hunt most of the day. Good luck to all yall!

sea trout

Bucks n does startin to run eachother in our area.
Lot of action this weekend!
Both my kids got bucks!
Will make post on deer section tomorrow.
Good luck y'all! These next 2 weeks gonna be awesome!!

JWT

Headed down tomorrow thru Monday, hoping I aint to late , anybody seen any action this week

sea trout

Good luck JWT!!

cr00241

Hunted yesterday, does by them selves just browsing, small bucks cruising around. Me and a buddy saw a total of 5 does yesterday evening and not one had anything around them. This is in Washington. In Tignall where I hunt also, they were chasing this past weekend and two nice ones were killed near me. One weighed 232lbs.