Winchester High wall results

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I agree on moving it right, I was just addressing the stringing issue.
If I was shooting three shot groups that were all touching at 100, I wouldn't worry about stringing or much of anything else. :bounce:

rosewood

I have guns I only wish would shoot that well. Some just will not do it. Others will.

Rosewood

rosewood

If I was shooting three shot groups that were all touching at 100, I wouldn't worry about stringing or much of anything else. :bounce:
Might worry about how you string up your deer to process :)

oppthepop

here's the latest round of shots after some load tweaking! YES we are close to ordering the turret for the Leupold scope and locking it in!

Attachments

• second target.jpeg
    second target.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Dub

rosewood

what cartridge is this? Or did I miss it?

guessing .30-06 or .308??

Rosewood

Stroker

Can't ask for no better than that. I just hope my low wall in .243 will come close to that.

Dub

Mighty sweet shooting.

You are dialing in mighty nicely. (y)

I'm looking forward to some ongoing updates on this gem of a rifle with that super glass.

I really like what you will be doing with the customer turret caps.

300 win mag

I have no data to base this on other than my small scale sample sizes several years ago....but.....there is some magic in the .300 WinMag.

They seem to be extremely easy to find loads that are ultra-accurate. I've seen it in nice guns and the most basic off-the-rack budget guns. The cartridge has some good mojo in it. :)

It seems that all it's ever taken is to buy a box of 165gr and a box of 180gr and then the gun will tell you right away where to go from there.

I've never had that much ease with .270Win, 7mmRemMag, 300WSM, 300RUM, 7mmRUM, 7mmSTW or 7mm08. The only cartridge that I've had close to similar results with is .308Win.....took three boxes 150gr, 165gr and 180gr, lol.

In each of the above I'd use those 2-3 boxes of factory ammo to sight in and play with. Later handloaded until max book load velocity sub-MOA hunting loads were obtained. Fun times. I remember the 300WSM being the most difficult for me and I never achieved the desired results I was hoping for and just stuck with the factory loads I had for it.

I'm really looking forward to starting over again soon and have decided to go with .30'06 as my first venture in returning to handloading. Main reason was nostalgia....I've danced all around it, but never have owned one and yet it seems like it would have checked most every box I'd ever need checking.

oppthepop

Mighty sweet shooting.

You are dialing in mighty nicely. (y)

I'm looking forward to some ongoing updates on this gem of a rifle with that super glass.

I really like what you will be doing with the customer turret caps.

I have no data to base this on other than my small scale sample sizes several years ago....but.....there is some magic in the .300 WinMag.

They seem to be extremely easy to find loads that are ultra-accurate. I've seen it in nice guns and the most basic off-the-rack budget guns. The cartridge has some good mojo in it. :)

It seems that all it's ever taken is to buy a box of 165gr and a box of 180gr and then the gun will tell you right away where to go from there.

I've never had that much ease with .270Win, 7mmRemMag, 300WSM, 300RUM, 7mmRUM, 7mmSTW or 7mm08. The only cartridge that I've had close to similar results with is .308Win.....took three boxes 150gr, 165gr and 180gr, lol.

In each of the above I'd use those 2-3 boxes of factory ammo to sight in and play with. Later handloaded until max book load velocity sub-MOA hunting loads were obtained. Fun times. I remember the 300WSM being the most difficult for me and I never achieved the desired results I was hoping for and just stuck with the factory loads I had for it.

I'm really looking forward to starting over again soon and have decided to go with .30'06 as my first venture in returning to handloading. Main reason was nostalgia....I've danced all around it, but never have owned one and yet it seems like it would have checked most every box I'd ever need checking.
Good words Dub - I have had excellent results out of the good old stand-by 300 win mag. I have an old Browning A-Bolt that shoots a factory Federal Premium 180 grain Nosler Partition better than almost ANY handload I have ever witnessed of any caliber. I think this Winchester high Wall might even be better. Good luck with the '06!

Reactions: Dub