Wind checkers

Thread starter #1
Been making some DIY squirt bottle wind checkers. I have tried flour as my powder. Is there a better powder to use in them?

Thanks

Last edited:
I tell ya a little secret that has worked for me for a lot of years. I still hunt hogs on public land and everybody knows how good there nose is. I quit fooling with the bottles years ago. Go find you one of them old squeeze change holders like the older people put in their pockets. They have a slit cut thru the middle of one side. Squeeze it open and fill it up with the head of a cattail reed. It will last for years and when you pull a piece out and let the wind grab it, you can see it in the wind for a long ways. Their getting harder to find, old hardware stores have them and some wal-marts have them in the pharmacy section. I give away a lot of them to guys who hunt like me. .79 cents :flag:

Here is one. You can run a cord thru it and run it around your wrist also. You can track it in the wind farther than the talc powder they use.

Attachments

If you're using the powder ones, baking powder will work much better than flour.

Thread starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. Will give them all a try

Cut off about 6 inches of para cord then take out the plies of cord from inside the outer sheath. From one of the plies I take perhaps 10 individual fibers and glue or tape them to the weapon I'm hunting with for a permanent and continuous indicator of wind direction

Jack Ryan

I tell ya a little secret that has worked for me for a lot of years. I still hunt hogs on public land and everybody knows how good there nose is. I quit fooling with the bottles years ago. Go find you one of them old squeeze change holders like the older people put in their pockets. They have a slit cut thru the middle of one side. Squeeze it open and fill it up with the head of a cattail reed. It will last for years and when you pull a piece out and let the wind grab it, you can see it in the wind for a long ways. Their getting harder to find, old hardware stores have them and some wal-marts have them in the pharmacy section. I give away a lot of them to guys who hunt like me. .79 cents :flag:
That change holder is a GENIUS idea there. :fine:

I use a 4-5 oz squeeze bottle, with carpenters line chalk....comes in
different colors ( i use blue)...Fill the bottle about 1/3 full and
give the bottle a shake and a couple of squeezes and you know instantly which direction of the wind ..

Ben Athens

I use a piece of white thread about 8 to 10 inches long. I unscrew the broadhead put the end in there then screw it back on. I also tape a piece to my rifle barrel.

When I am in the mid west I use milkweed, comes in its own carry case and your can watch it for at least thirty yards. Floats on the currents better than anything I ever saw. I have never seen it in Georgia around here and I don't use it here, don't want another weed I will have to get rid of in the hay fields.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
When I am in the mid west I use milkweed, comes in its own carry case and your can watch it for at least thirty yards. Floats on the currents better than anything I ever saw. I have never seen it in Georgia around here and I don't use it here, don't want another weed I will have to get rid of in the hay fields.
This. I bought myself a milkweed plant (asclepias tuberosa aka butterfly weed) at Pikes and planted by my mailbox. I pull off the pods and let them dry in a brown paper bag on the dash of my truck. You can pull several hunting seasons worth of fibers in one year.