Window height?

aabradley82

I’m going to build a couple tower box towers for my club. Does anyone know a standard window height? It’ll be adults and kids in the boxes so I need a height that’ll work for both.

HermanMerman

Go as narrow as possible and if you can, go with only three windows and position the side windows far forward on each side. It is nice to have a dark corner in the box to stay hidden.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I sat my boys in the chair that would be in the stand. Let them hold the rifle at a comfortable height, then built the windows at that height. Be sure to add something to the floor to deaden foot noises.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Window height is different depending on the person.

Dbender

If you can build a tower blind you should be smart enough. Standard height is 32 to 36 inches,. Sheeshh

O.p depending on how far your plot is an lay of the land and type of chair are all factors. I generally leave my shooting rail out until stand is in place. I also leave a piece of foam in the stand in case a smaller kid is hunting with me. Generally they are roughly about a hand width shorter than the length of any standard bolt rifle, not sure of the exact measurements.

aabradley82

I’m gonna build this at the house the haul it down and pick it up with the tractor. I’m not a big woods project person, never have everything I need.

Deernut3

NWTF had some nice plans somewhere on their website. I used them for my rough baseline and I'm pretty sure 30 inches was the bottom of my window.

jav

sit in the chair you will hunt out of. Hold your gun and aim. The bottom of your hand should be the bottom of your window opening. I tried to guess at the window height when i built my shooting house and ended up raising the subfloor six inches when i was done. Its better to get it right at the start.

Mars

The expected distance of the shot is important too. The angle for a 150yd shot will be much less than the angle for a 20yd shot. I learned that when I built mine. The window is a little too high for those close shots.

SlipperyHill Mo

We make ours 38-40” from floor to shooting rail. They are usually 8” openings. If windows is low it can be used, to high not so much.

7 point

I sat my boys in the chair that would be in the stand. Let them hold the rifle at a comfortable height, then built the windows at that height. Be sure to add something to the floor to deaden foot noises.
I used some harbor freight mechanics mats on the floor of mine.

7 point

I made my windows a little big but I have rope on my shutters to adjust the shutter and I only open it enough to see out.Screenshot_20210220-141305_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

southernman13

40” is bout what we do. I agree on the narrow. Width wise and height wise. The more space u have from corner to edge of window the more concealment u have. I like to move around lol

aabradley82

I’m not savvy enough to load pics. It’s just a 4x8 platform with a 4x6 box. Did a peak roof to gain some head room. I’ll hinge some plexiglass for the windows to keep the wind/rain out on nasty days.