Windy St. Marks trout...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
In my haste to make it springtime, I have spent more time waiting on the weather than I have actually spent fishing in the past few weeks. Lots of days at home and in the camper watching it rain or blow or both. The past few trips out have been in unsettled weather and windy conditions. This week other than the weather I was fighting these stupid hill tides that come in part way, and go out part way, then come in the rest of the day and then fall hard overnight. Not good for me since I like to my fishing around the outgoing tide...

Exhibit A-

Screenshot_20220326-210305_Tides.jpg

I managed to scratch a few up here and there leading up to today we am lost a couple good reds and released (shorts) a couple more...
Found a bunch of shorts on the flats and about it's about 4' to 5' but went thru a couple dozen without a keeper. So I turned back to concentrating on oyster bars in creekmouths.
Spent the 1st hour fishing today around an oyster bar that produced nothing. Then went to a second spot that also produced nothing for about an hour. Then the fish moved in and turned on and I caught about 8 or so before I had my limit of 5 with the permitted one over slot... Actually caught 2 over slot but could only keep one...
And lost another good red under the boat trying to net by myself.

20220326_133238.jpg

20220326_145109.jpg

Lonely and windy around here!
Had some guests scheduled but they couldn't show.
Got company coming to fish with me tomorrow so maybe more fish and more pics to come...

Been away from home for over a week and Feel the urge to get back...
Of course as soon as I leave the weather and the tides are going to be glorious!

Screenshot_20220326-212419_Tides.jpg

I will have to be back soon!

slow motion

Good looking catch brother. Tough weather lately but looks like you've been able to take advantage of it.

Big7

The Oracle
That's some good size trout. ? ?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
What's the water temp?
Headed down tomorrow for a couple of weeks.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Today out with 2 novices.
Did more captaining and knot tying and untangling and baiting hooks than fishing....
Still super windy and dirty water and no live shrimp for bait.
I caught all but one of this short box and got the other one donated to the poor and hungry (me).
Time to clean the fish, clean the boat and head home tomorrow. Been a long 12 or so days. Headed back here soon...

20220327_154615.jpg

What's the water temp?
Headed down tomorrow for a couple of weeks.

I haven't even paid attention to the water temp. The small fish are out on the flats but the water has been dirty. I think the better trout are still in the Creek mouths and oyster bars

notnksnemor

I haven't even paid attention to the water temp. The small fish are out on the flats but the water has been dirty. I think the better trout are still in the Creek mouths and oyster bars

Safe travels, be talkin to ya.

doomtrpr_z71

I'd like to come see you on my next trip down.
How long are you going to stay?
I may have to make a move out of here after all. Horn and I have some negotiations to do over keeping my boat in the driveway of my camper spot. He says hes in the boat storage building business and he can't let me keep it there for free. He wants to store it in dry storage and there ain't no way. I will offer him an extra 100 bucks a month just to let me keep it (them) where it is but that's as far as it goes...
So I guess they'll want me to pay to park my boat in front of the park model cabin next time?

notnksnemor

The only good things I hear about the new owners comes from Facebook and that ain't a real place

I was one of the first long term campers to have a problem with him.
In his anger he told just what his plans are for the place.
It's not what you've been used to.

doomtrpr_z71

I was one of the first long term campers to have a problem with him.
In his anger he told just what his plans are for the place.
It's not what you've been used to.
I'm seeing the same thing with some of the stuff going on with purchases in steinhatchee as well

notnksnemor

I'm seeing the same thing with some of the stuff going on with purchases in steinhatchee as well

They were in the fishing business in Tampa.
It's all about the $$$$.
Steinhatchee, Keaton Beach were already taken and there's nothing but saltwater marsh until you get to St. Marks.
He wants no long term campers and 35 overnight RV sites.
The only parking will be in front of the motel.

Rabun

You got into some real nice keepers 1eye! It’s tough to spend that much time holed up waiting on weather. You made it happen! Safe travels!