Winter striper fishing on Carter’s Lake.

BeefMaster

With cooler water temps approaching I am getting excited about chasing stripes in shallower waters on the fly. I winter fish Lanier as I know where I can normal find them and I don’t have to worry about tearing up a lower unit like on Weiss. However, Carter’s lake has stripes and it is a fair amount closer to the house. Has anybody chased striper on the fly there in the winter? I assume that the bait will go shallow and subsequently the predators will follow just like Lanier. I’m going to give it a shot but I was curious if anybody else’s had a success or failure story they would share.

swamp10

This is second hand information
I was told that some of the boat ramps were closed at Carter's.
Have you heard anything about that

BeefMaster

Yes. The last I heard was that citizens were being solicited to help with the upkeep so the ramps wouldn’t have to close as the COE budget has been cut. There have been several town hall style meetings but what will come of it remains to be seen.

rnfarley

I've never done it - but would love to play around up there and see what's shallow. I've been having decent luck on spots in allatoona the last few weeks on poppers and small baitfish/clousers, but the stripers seem to be staying down deeper. I've got a little everglades style skiff that'll run in about 6" if you wanna set something up sometime. ;)

BeefMaster

I've never done it - but would love to play around up there and see what's shallow. I've been having decent luck on spots in allatoona the last few weeks on poppers and small baitfish/clousers, but the stripers seem to be staying down deeper. I've got a little everglades style skiff that'll run in about 6" if you wanna set something up sometime. ;)

I certainly appreciate the offer. Sorry for the delay, been away from the fire for a bit. I had a little time and got skunked working the shallows on Lanier and I would imagine, as life is dictating right now, that fishing time is going to be hard to come by. ‘Toona is right down the way from me, if I get some time I’ll certainly holler and we can get some skiff action going as I am running a Hog Island and I don’t fear the skinny stuff either.

rnfarley

I certainly appreciate the offer. Sorry for the delay, been away from the fire for a bit. I had a little time and got skunked working the shallows on Lanier and I would imagine, as life is dictating right now, that fishing time is going to be hard to come by. ‘Toona is right down the way from me, if I get some time I’ll certainly holler and we can get some skiff action going as I am running a Hog Island and I don’t fear the skinny stuff either.

We should definitely connect. I live in N Paulding and fish Allatoona a lot. I’m thinking of selling my Mangrove Bay IBIS for a Hog Island and would love to see your boat sometime if you’d be up for that.