Winter wheat or oats?

J

J-Bomb

We have a fairly new dam and I want to plant something on the slope that will hold the soil pretty well through the winter and also provide something for the deer and turkey to forage. I have heard that it is good to mix winter wheat and oats for this type of application. We of course do not want to till or plow the slope and I hear that both of these will grow pretty well in poor soil without having to be tilled.
Although this really isn't used as a food plot, I was thinking that either or both would probably do a lot better than ryegrass-which deer will eat, but they are supposed to get no nutrition at all from. At least with the wheat and oats, I figure the turkeys might like it as well as possibly the deer.
-Anyone tried anything like this?
-Thanks
-Jeff

LKennamer

Depends on what you do to it

Deer do get nutrition from ryegrass, but only if you fertilize and lime properly (same goes for wheat and oats). If I were you, I'd probably put all three on the dam, put some fertilizer to it (lime won't really help right now since it will take a few months to change the pH, but it will benefit in the spring). Find some wheat straw if you haven't already and put that on it too if you can. It may seem like overkill, but it's easier to prevent erosion than to fix the damage. Next year I'd look into planting something perennial, like bahia and/or bermuda (I can't believe I said that!). Bahia is good for turkeys to bug in and also produces insects which they need in the warm months. You can overseed with wheat or oats during the winter months. Hope this helps.

Jeff Phillips

I'd plant it in Marshall Rye (18% protien) and lezpedezia (sp).

CAL

I think LKennamer has the best suggestion.I had much rather have an overkill than have to fix some bad washes.Last year on a new pond dam I used ryegrass and it worked real good.
As said,without fert. and lime nothing will grow good.Knowing you have a ph problem,basic slag will give a quick fix if you can find some.
I used a forewheeler and an old weeder on the slopes and it worked real good.A set of old bed springs will work also to drag and cover seed.

Ga-Spur

LKennamer has it pegged. Most new embankments need a lot of lime and fertilizer. Now would be a good time to apply both.

Last edited: