Wintertime fly Trout

Whitetailer

I am going to take a road trip in a couple of weeks to the North Georgia Fly waters. I know there has been lots of rain. Should I focus on tail water? OR poke around some small water streams? I was going to begin my quest over near Toccoa and north on the Chattooga and tributaries. Then move west over the next two or three weeks.

Any advise or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ibfly

Hi Whitetailer- I'm a fly fishing noob compared to most here, but happy to share. I was on Dukes Creek in Smithgall Woods today and the water is still very high. Smith Creek, also in Helen, was not as high, but a tough day to fish. Saturday before last the Toccoa was perfect, but now it is too high to wade by several factors. The Chattahoochee tail water below Buford Dam is rain fall immune with the release schedule, so that is an option regardless.

Toccoa tail water below Lake Blue Ridge is also an option if you rent a Kayak or bring something.

Hope that helps.

Whitetailer

sure thing ibfly. that's the area ill look at first. yes, as I expected tailwater may be a good bet.

Thanks, Whitetailer

Attachments

• IMG_20180909_171527_396 (002).jpg
    IMG_20180909_171527_396 (002).jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 36

splatek

UAEC
Unicoi outfitter’s Facebook page and NGTO post weekly reports with golden intel. Might be worth checking out.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would think the tailwaters are going to be your best bet. But everything around here is in flood stage right now.

rnfarley

I was sitting here this morning debating trying to make a run up to a high stream on Saturday early but am as worried about the roads and trails as I am the streams being blown out too. The tail water may be high and muddy with the dam running a lot to let the lake back down (Buford is running 24/7 right now and Blue Ridge may be too) probably going to spend the day tying flies instead of fishing them I'm afraid. Good Luck out there.

Whitetailer

I have been dealing with flooding conditions om my Berrien County property. Right on the Alapaha River. Gauge is dead low at 209 and now is 221.37.
A tragic twelve feet increase. Soooo, I my wait a week or two before venturing up north.

Thanks all. Russ

Whitetailer

I never made it up to camp/fish due to the rain for the most part. I'm still wanting to get out of town and get into the woods. Is anyone familiar with Panther Creek, just west of Yonah dam? I just want to camp and chill a bit and throw a 4 weight some.

Thanks. Whitetailer