Wish me luck please!!!

Al33

I have finally decided to do something I have contemplated doing for many years, which is to get serious about hunting with my primitive bows and arrows. Ever since I was a kid finding arrowheads in Texas I have been fascinated by how they were made. That lead me eventually learn the processes from others and I started Knapping points which lead to learning how to harvest and straighten river-cane, making self bows, and more. So many to thank for helping me along the way.

I have been working on knaping points, cutting and grinding turkey feathers, and straightening river-cane this year primarily in preparation for bear hunting. Of course a pig, deer, or even a turkey next Spring would be nice also. In the pic's are 8 arrows out of about a dozen+ that fly very well out of the 66", 56#@28" Osage bow I made under the tutelage of Dan Speirs in 2010.
The points are hafted onto the shafts with sinew I have harvested from past deer kills over the years. About the only things in my setup that are not primitive are the B50 string and I used a real thin carpet thread for tying on the feathers. All the arrows spine out from 50 to 55# and weigh an average weight of 570 gr.s. The heads average about 150 grains each.

I don't have any pic's of arrow groups with these arrows because it's too risky. Too much work to risk ruining one so I only shoot a couple at a time.
I hope in the near future I have a few hero pic's to add to this journey so wish me luck. The tools will do their jobs if only I do mine. Thanks for reading!!

Attachments

• Primitivesetup2018-1.jpg
    Primitivesetup2018-1.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Primitivesetup2018-2.jpg
    Primitivesetup2018-2.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 141

GeorgiaBob

Good luck.

May your shafts fly straight,
may your shots hold true,
and may your arrowheads pierce worthy game.

(Those are some great looking arrows!)

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
We will be rooting for you Al. All looks good except the rest seems to be on the wrong side of that bow. LOL

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you're set to go! I have no doubt you'll be successful. Nice stuff!

Todd Cook

That's a great looking setup you got there Al! I have no doubt you'll be succesful with them. Good luck buddy!

Clipper

Looks like a lot of work in that setup. A labor of love I bet. Wishing you the opportunity to loose some of those arrows at game this fall.

Barebowyer

There you go Al. They are looking good. I am not sure you will need "Luck" to make it happen but if you do, I am sending it your way. Looking forward to your success. Shoot 'em straight!

mudcreek

Very nice work. You will do this!