Wishing you all the best

Joe Brandon

Friends it seems the time has come. I cant wait to see what this season holds for us all and what new adventures are to be had. I wish you all a wonderful bear/deer season and a harvest should it be God's will. Let's remember to stick together and to do our best to encourage each other. God bless you all and let the arrows fly and the rifles fire!!!!!!!!!!!

splatek

UAEC
You know I also wanted to say thanks. A ton of folks on here have helped me make the dive into mountain hunting and particularly chasing bears. This will be my first real season chasing them after a miserable opener last year and not going back but once. I know it;s going to be tough - find the white oaks they said, but now white oaks are few and far between. I scouted hard; hung cams; have bears and bucks on cam. Now I just have to position myself correctly to get the job done. But, even if I do not get something from the hills this season, it won't all be for nought. I have learned a ton about everything from oaks to terrain, bear behavior to thermals. This hunting knowledge taken from this subforum alone seems like it's worth it's weight in gold. I cannot wait to celebrate (electronically) many of y'alls' trophies this fall. Hopefully, I will have a bear on the ground, but like I said, even if I don;t the education has been worth it.
Stay safe out there.
May your arrows fly straight and your dragouts be downhill.

WoodlandScout82

Here we go again everyone! I hope you guys get more sleep than I will tonight?! I've been waiting on tomorrow since Dec.31. Good luck and Happy Hunting to each and every one of you! Stay safe and let's fill our freezers.

HardlyHangin

Well, any luck opening day??

I found lots of old sign, nothing super fresh. Few old pills of scat, several turned logs/rocks, dug up yellow jacket nest, but nothing incredible. Maybe i should have settled for older stuff and sat on it.

Joe Brandon

I dont know of anyone who has scored yet. Was on some great climbing and digging sign Sunday and will return mid week.

WoodlandScout82

I found a plethora of turned rocks and tore up logs, some digging, but no climbing signs in the area. Lots of white oaks in the creek bottom but only a few acorns have dropped from them. Saw one small lone bear sat. morning. It's. A new spot for me so I'm still trying to figure out the best spot to sit. I think they are coming off a ridge that was cut a few years back but is now really thick. I saw a few deer move through the same area this morning.

I dont know of anyone who has scored yet. Was on some great climbing and digging sign Sunday and will return mid week.

I hit a big boar. He was at 10 yards and closing. I swore he was dead broadside when I shot, but he was more quartering to me. I watched the arrow lodge in his shoulder, he walked away about 20 yards and tried to remove the arrow. He is alive and slightly hurt. I hate it, but it happens. Adrenaline rush got me too!

Joe Brandon

I hit a big boar. He was at 10 yards and closing. I swore he was dead broadside when I shot, but he was more quartering to me. I watched the arrow lodge in his shoulder, he walked away about 20 yards and tried to remove the arrow. He is alive and slightly hurt. I hate it, but it happens. Adrenaline rush got me too!
Maybe you could get a dog up there and try to close in on him. Hey man happens to the best of us I've missed 3 bears in 4 years. It hurts but even the best hunters I know on here miss sometimes!!!

That arrow probably didn’t make it past his shoulder blade.

Yep. He was at a hard angle to me. He walked quickly away not in a panic. He then stopped and looked back at me.

I followed blood for a bit, it was not lung.

CornStalker

Dang. I hate that for you. What kind of arrow broadhead set up we’re you shooting—just curious?

Also, did you set up on a travel corridor or food source?

Dang. I hate that for you. What kind of arrow broadhead set up we’re you shooting—just curious?

Also, did you set up on a travel corridor or food source?

Black Widow Recurve. 175 grain Zwickey.

He was on a food source. The morning before I had a coyote walk up on me, I saw one doe and a big gobbler as well. A bear crossed RBR Saturday morning near Dukes Creek sign.

Friday I saw a giant Timber Rattler!

There is NO DOUBT in my mind that bear is alive.

CornStalker

Well, at least you found the jackpot! That’s a pretty good assortment of critters.