WMA boundary question?

Goatman70

If a WMA is not open for hunting can you still use the WMA road to access private property? Private property I hunt is bordered by a WMA and there is a road around the outer border of the WMA. I would be parking on the WMA road and walking into private land. I figured someone on here my have had a similar experience and could hopefully provide some insight.

across the river

Used to do something similar duck hunting and got checked. There is nothing preventing you from being on public land, so as long as it isn't closed for some reason you are free to be there. The issue comes from the fact that if they show up they automatically assume you are hunting on the WMA. We got checked, he was skeptical, and it took a while to convince him we were legit. Once we explained it and convinced him, he never checked us again. If you know who the ranger is that patrols it, I think it would be easier to call first. If you don't call, I would have the gun, bow, crossbow, etc.... in a case when on the WMA property and wouldn't take it out until I reached the private property I was going to hunt.

AJLBucks

Yes, my uncle has a lease that the only access to it is through a WMA. There is a gate at the property line. Only the landowner, those on the lease, and DNR have keys (supposedly)

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
You have to have a hunting license or day use pass to use the WMA. If you have one you should be good......

Nimrod71

I would park on the side away from the WMA and make sure I didn't walk on WMA land. If I was the game warden I would track you from your truck to see which side of the road you were on. Also I would make sure my gun was unloaded before I came with in sight of the road.

Goatman70

Thanks for the advice everyone. This has given me a little more clarity