WMA Question!!

The law says you may not discharge a firearm within 50 yards of a road, it doesn't say you may not hunt within 50 yards of a road. You can have it loaded walking in, you just can't shoot it. Page 16 under unlawful activities in the regulations.
This is incorrect. Was hunting with 2 friends earlier this year and they were both ticketed for having loaded guns 15 yards off the road in the woods. They were actually unloading their guns when they were spotted. Hunting an unfamiliar WMA and didn’t realize they had walked far enough to hit another road until they were those 15 yards away from it. The WMA regs don’t agree with your statement.

Am I reading this wrong? Just to clarify, we are talking WMA's...
Unlawful Activities on WMAs
  • Man-drives during deer hunts. A man-drive is defined as an organized hunting technique involving three (3) or more hunters using a coordinated effort to drive deer or feral swine from cover to another hunter for the purpose of shooting.
  • Placing bait or wildlife food and hunting any game species or feral hog over bait.
  • Target practicing, except on an authorized shooting range.
  • Driving a vehicle around any gate, sign, earth berm, or similar device intended to prevent vehicular access.
  • Hunting within 50 yards of any road opened for vehicular access. (Possession of a loaded firearm within 50 yards of a road opened for vehicular access is considered hunting.)
  • Hunting within a posted safety zone or no hunting zone.
  • Consuming alcohol except at designated camp sites (this regulation does not apply on National Forest Lands).
  • Camping or operating a motor vehicle upon any permanent wildlife opening.
  • Using motor vehicles, signage, flagging tape, or any other method(s) to close or restrict access to roads, trails or any other access features.
  • Using metal detectors or collecting artifacts.
  • Using paintball equipment (this regulation does not apply on National Forest Lands).
  • Trapping except that special permits may be issued for certain WMAs.
  • Possessing alcohol while hunting on National Forest lands.
  • Possessing a cocked crossbow in a motor vehicle.
  • Possessing a firearm during a closed hunting season for an area, except on designated shooting ranges, unless such a firearm is unloaded and stored in a motor vehicle so as to not be readily accessible, except that any person possessing a Weapons Carry License that is valid in this state pursuant to OCGA §§ 16-11-126(f) or 16-11-129 may carry such firearm subject to the limitations of OCGA §§ 16-11-126 and 16-11-127, except where prohibited by federal law.
  • Possessing a loaded firearm (a gun is considered loaded if a shell is in the chamber or magazine, a percussion cap is on the nipple, or powder is present on the frizzen pan) in a motor vehicle, except that any person possessing a Weapons Carry License that is valid in this state pursuant to OCGA §§ 16-11-126(f) or 16-11-129 may carry such firearm subject to the limitations of OCGA §§ 16-11-126 and 16-11-127, except where prohibited by federal law.
  • A Weapons Carry License does not allow the holder to carry a loaded firearm, other than a handgun, in a motor vehicle on a WMA.
  • Hunt any big game species, feral hogs, or coyotes with dogs unless otherwise specified.
You're right, I had forgotten that it was different on WMAs. This is a prime example of too many inconsistencies in our game laws, if I can't keep it straight how can the average hunter? Thanks for pointing this out!

flynlow

Student at the Hard Knock School of Aerodynamics
You're right, I had forgotten that it was different on WMAs. This is a prime example of too many inconsistencies in our game laws, if I can't keep it straight how can the average hunter? Thanks for pointing this out!
I'm a below average hunter LOL. Thanks for clearing it up, and thanks for all you guys do, even if the laws are confusing at times but at least we have a lot of great places to hunt and fish so I'm thankful for that.

You are absolutely correct. Nearly impossible for even the most by the book, honest hunters to keep it all straight 100% of the time.

I was gonna say your buddy didn’t hear right but that’s so crazy he couldn’t have made it up on his own

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct. Nearly impossible for even the most by the book, honest hunters to keep it all straight 100% of the time.
And ours in Georgia are simple. Go to Alaska and get a fishing or hunting regulation book. It’s literally impossible to comprehend
Some of the laws depend on what part of the stream or side of the road you’re standing on