Wonder how many people walked right over it?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I hit the mountain this morning.

Working my way up between the south and west side cliffs. Im almost topped out when my mind registered arrowhead. Im like no way. I turn around and take a few steps back. Sure enough laying right in the well worn trail. Theres no telling how many people have stepped right over it. Ive walked the same path 10 - 12 times in the last month. There were 2 rock climbers not far ahead of me on top.
First point ive found here at home. That is not made of quartz.20200719_074429.jpg

Tentwing

Great find. ?. I often have wondered the same. One of my favorite points I found completely exposed on a well worn trail. It was on a school field trip, and 3/4 of the class was ahead of me and stepped right over it ???

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice find! Looks like it's made from some kind of quartzite.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
It doesnt have any sparkle to it. If its quartzite, its a type ive never seen.

More like shale

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
A friend of mine found the most pristine point he'd ever found on the raven cliffs trail. Almost like it was just put there. I dont know how hundreds of people can step ove them either.

ghadarits

You never know when or where someone might seed an area so others might find something they probably never would otherwise. I don’t think that’s the case here though. I did used to take a hand full of arrowhead pieces to Girls Scout camp Misty Mountain and let my daughter spread them around. She would wait for a group of girls or a girl and her dad to come by and miraculously find one. That would get them looking too. Then they would miraculously find one. It always made me smile to see a girl running to show her dad what she found. We did that for at least 10 years and it never got old.

ghadarits

I hit the mountain this morning.

Working my way up between the south and west side cliffs. Im almost topped out when my mind registered arrowhead. Im like no way. I turn around and take a few steps back. Sure enough laying right in the well worn trail. Theres no telling how many people have stepped right over it. Ive walked the same path 10 - 12 times in the last month. There were 2 rock climbers not far ahead of me on top.
First point ive found here at home. That is not made of quartz.View attachment 1028279

I’ve often wondered the same thing. I’ve found several alongside rivers in parks on worn down trails. Jones Bridge in metro Atlanta to mention one. Of course I left it where it was being in a park and all. My daughter found one on the softball field playing 1st base during a high school game at Dunwoody High School.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It doesnt have any sparkle to it. If its quartzite, its a type ive never seen.

More like shale
Yeah, it looks like quartzite. It's one of the most common rock types around here, and there are a bunch of different kinds when you get into metaquartzite. A lot of it isn't shiny or sparkly at all. Most quartzite doesn't resemble quartz, they are two different things entirely. Most quartzite is matamorhosed sandstone. That one looks to have some patina on it too.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That’s A good hike!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Yeah, it looks like quartzite. It's one of the most common rock types around here, and there are a bunch of different kinds when you get into metaquartzite. A lot of it isn't shiny or sparkly at all. Most quartzite doesn't resemble quartz, they are two different things entirely. Most quartzite is matamorhosed sandstone. That one looks to have some patina on it too.
It does look very old. Do you have any idea how old it might be or who may have made it? Nice find

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It does look very old. Do you have any idea how old it might be or who may have made it? Nice find
It's a Savannah River point, late Archaic, around 2,000 BC.