Woodcock 2019-2020

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Saturday was opening day in Georgia. Found 4 birds, one in the same 10x10 square yards where one has been for the past 4 seasons on opening day. Flushed wild, never found again. Must've heard about Floyd. Next 3 were in the usual suspect places. Floyd, Abby and Willa, aka my MuttPak.
https://www.jpgbox.com/page/58493_800x600/] [/URL]
Today, Sunday, Floyd, Jeff and I. Floyd's Sadie and Pop. Found 7. Recovered three. We are off to a decent start for early season. Should pick up as weather turns cooler. Gil

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I usually hunt Ocmulgee after first of year. Seems that’s historically when they show up.

coveyrise

Yet to see a WC on any of the places we have hunted this year. 3 years ago and longer we always bumped up a few WC in about every couple of hunts. Now they are non existing. I don’t know if all the quail have run them off. Having an outstanding season with them.

Last edited:

awashin5

I have kicked up several coveys while hunting woodcock! As we know everything is just about quota only, so it is a good steadiness drill for the dogs! Hopefully we can find some doodles at some point.

Beagle Stace

Shot two Woodcock on DiLane quail quota hunt Sat. out of 3 seen. Really glad to get dog work on esp. since we only found two covies of quail even though we pounded ground for 7 hrs. Only shot two quail, one covey busted willd other covey pointed.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Killed a woodcock on a WMA this weekend. Only one we found. Old dogs only ran about an hour and a half or so but they enjoyed it!

Michael F Sights

Saturday was opening day in Georgia. Went north of home. Found 4 birds, one in the same 10x10 square yards where one has been for the past 4 seasons on opening day. Flushed wild, never found again. Must've heard about Floyd. Next 3 were in the usual suspect places. Floyd, Abby and Willa, aka my MuttPak.
https://www.jpgbox.com/page/58493_800x600/] [/URL]
Today, Sunday, Floyd, Jeff and I. Floyd's Sadie and Pop. We went south today. Found 7. Recovered three. We are off to a decent start for early season. Should pick up as weather turns cooler. Gil

What brand S x S are those in top picture? Nice hunts, too.

GLS

Michael, both are 20 ga. Ithaca SKB's with 25" barrels, IC/M. They weigh a tad under 6 lbs. Mine is the top one at 5 lbs. 14 oz. Floyd's is close to that. Floyd restocked the gun and did all the inletting and checkering on his. He cut the original stock for his son, but his son didn't have interest in shooting. He's had the gun for close to 50 years, a gift from his dad. It's a death ray in his hands. Jeff's gun is an Uggie 20 ga. He's a great shot, too. Gil

Michael F Sights

Michael, both are 20 ga. Ithaca SKB's with 25" barrels, IC/M. They weigh a tad under 6 lbs. Mine is the top one at 5 lbs. 14 oz. Floyd's is close to that. Floyd restocked the gun and did all the inletting and checkering on his. He cut the original stock for his son, but his son didn't have interest in shooting. He's had the gun for close to 50 years, a gift from his dad. It's a death ray in his hands. Jeff's gun is an Uggie 20 ga. He's a great shot, too. Gil

Thanks for the information!

GLS

Ithaca SKB 100 to be precise. Made from about 1968 for about 10 years if memory serves. Gil