Woodcock 2019-2020

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Reckon they are in their summer haunts now?

trad bow

Thank you.

BBond

Well got an update with 1 cool result.
One bird stayed in VA from about March 5th-May 2nd and then took off and is in Quebec now.
She covered about 196 acres in VA and when zoomed in her potential nest site appeared to be just over 4,000 sqft area (remember even with satellites under canopy there may be some error). But she had numerous locations that close. If you take in the time to nest/brood then she appeared to maybe have a nest and finish raising a brood then she took off North.

Attachments

• Bird4.JPG
    Bird4.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: GLS

trad bow

Do you think she’ll raise another brood in Quebec?

BBond

Another update with a change.

Our bird who had been in Michigan for a couple of months is also now in Canada in Quebec.

So that now makes 5 out of 10 birds that left GA in Canada.
2 birds either died on site or their transmitters quit before leaving the trap site.

trad bow

Thanks for the update

BBond

Well we still have 4 woodcocks sending data once a month. They've slowed down the transmitters so hopefully these 4 last awhile longer. 2 are in Quebec, 1 in New Brunswick and 1 in Vermont (which was in NY back in May but moved at some point).

Not sure these transmitters will last long enough to catch them migrating back south.

BBond

Well one bird is still sending data as of Oct. 17th.
It is still in New Brunswick where it has been all summer.
Transmittered birds from other states are starting to show movements south to NY, MA, etc.
Hopefully, the GA bird's battery keeps going so we can see if it returns to GA and if so the same general location or not.
We will be transmittering more birds this winter.

Beagle Stace

I would say def. a resident bird. A lot of people don't realize we have resident birds that are always around. Way to early for migratory birds to push this far south yet.

The Donk

Bumped one on a WMA heading to my bow spot a few weeks ago. Its a privet filled creek bottom near a large field that has a ton of old barbed wire laying around, which is why I don't hunt there. Got me fired up though.