Woodcock Migration

BBond

Yep. GA has participated in this research this year and last year. We are done after this year.
Currently the birds we transmittered in GA back in February are in the following:

IN = 1 (no new locations in 3 weeks and shows it's in a crop field, so not promising news)
ME = 1
MI = 1
MN = 1
NY = 2
PA = 1
WV = 2
Quebec Canada = 1

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
BBond, do you know of any reports of woodcock nesting in GA? I had 1 fly by me early in the morning at Berry College WMA on 4/23 which I thought was odd to see it still in GA. I also talked to a couple of guys at Pine Log who had seen a clutch a couple of weeks before that.

BBond

None of the birds we've transmittered nested here. Now we've received reports over the years of woodcocks in GA when nesting should occur. We expected to maybe see that with these birds but didn't. You can look on ebird and look during Spring and Summer over the years and there are reports in GA of woodcocks (seen/heard). So overall birds staying here are in the minority for sure.
Last year all of ours were mainly up in the East. We had a couple go straight north but then curved east when they were around Ohio.
This year however we have birds in MN, MI and IN so some of our birds acted different this year.
Out of 60ish birds banded (of which 12 were transmittered) from last year 2 returned back to the same area in GA they were caught on. One was harvested (transmittered - Bird had travelled to the eastern edge of Quebec) and another we recaptured this year and saw the band was a bird from last year. So that was pretty cool.

Resica

Yep. GA has participated in this research this year and last year. We are done after this year.
Currently the birds we transmittered in GA back in February are in the following:

IN = 1 (no new locations in 3 weeks and shows it's in a crop field, so not promising news)
ME = 1
MI = 1
MN = 1
NY = 2
PA = 1
WV = 2
Quebec Canada = 1
Why is Georgia finished after this year? Too few to matter?

BBond

We will still band some.
we are ending the transmitter portion of the project.
We just had a two year agreement with the University of Maine to participate in the research.

BBond

Well it looks like the birds are settled for the summer. They are in the same states as May 6th. Only one has even changed counties. So not sure what if any updates I will give unless one makes a move.

IN = 1 (no new locations in 4 weeks and shows it's in a crop field, so not promising news)
ME = 1
MI = 1
MN = 1
NY = 2
PA = 1
WV = 2
Quebec Canada = 1

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Thank you for the updates

BBond

We have 6 birds still sending data
MN, NY, MI, ME, WV, PA
They've slowed down the transmitters so they last longer.
Hopefully, this year we get to see some of the guys come back and where they end up.
This was our last year participating with the transmitter project.
We still plan as of now to band some this winter after the season.
The pics are:
ME bird along gas/power lines (April-July)
PA bird loving the cloverleaf off ramps (March-July)
NY bird going to HS (March-July)

other birds were in more wooded areas but I thought these 3 we a little different to point out

Attachments

• Maine-woodcock-july2021.png.jpg
    Maine-woodcock-july2021.png.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 9
  • Pennsylvania-woodcock-july2021.jpg
    Pennsylvania-woodcock-july2021.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 9
  • NewYork-woodcock-july2021.png.jpg
    NewYork-woodcock-july2021.png.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 9