Woodie Call

Wire Nut

I have the best luck hitting a call a few times right a shooting light when I hear them starting to make noise. They roost on the other end of the swamp from the hole we hunt. Several times they’ve gotten off the water and come to us to see what’s happening. Seldom do they make it out!

jdgator

Woodies will decoy if they are migrating, in my experience. If they are residents though and its more than a couple of weeks into the season they turn into bats and only fly before and after shooting hours LOL. Residents are hard to impossible to "pull" in my experience.

As far as calls go migrating woodies will respond to a mallard call just like all ducks. But like all ducks a jerk line is better than the best calling.

The best call is one that is used sparingly and only then by someone who knows what they are doing....most folks can't blow a call to save their lives but what they lack in ability they make up for with exhuberance and apparently think that they best bet is to call early, often and badly as much as possible. By the second week of the season ducks and geese know more about calls and decoys than all of the manufacturers of the same know....

Agree 100%

Also, a Haydel wood duck call is the only wood duck call I use.