Colorado Elk hunt DIY 2009 and 2010
Total price: about $1800.00 in all
All National Forest Land
Self Guided
Stayed in a nice house in town
Flew and rented a SUV
200.00 to have elk packed out and 225.00 to get it processed
Saw lots of Mule Deer, prarie dogs, elk and coyotes
Harvested a 3x4 elk in 2009 and a 5x5 in 2010 (2.2 miles from truck at over 9500 ft, packed it out on our backs in 1 trip in 2009)
Would do it again over and over. Been 6 times and shot 4 bulls
Overall experience would be a 9 because I missed a 320 class 6x6 last year, could have shot a 4x4 in 2006 and only saw 6 elk in 2008.

smithcha

Mo

Great WMAs and public land with big bucks.
I also hunt private land.
Try Crooked Creek WMA near Steelville MO Big buck recently opened to gun hunting. Look up Crooked Creek in Crawford County MOon MDC website.

smithcha

Mo

Great WMAs and public land with big bucks.
I also hunt private land.
Try Crooked Creek WMA near Steelville MO Big buck recently opened to gun hunting. Look up Crooked Creek in Crawford County MO on MDC website.

SFR292

State hunted: South Dakota, Hot Springs, (SW corner)

Total price of hunt: Non Res Tags, $235-$350 depending on what type of deer (mule or white tail) and buck or doe or both. $110 for Turkey (fall season)

Land (private/wma/leased): Private

Guide service used: Brother-in-law

Website of sevice: http://gfp.sd.gov/

Game seen: Mule Deer, White Tail Deer, Hybrid, Elk, literally 1,000's of turkey, pheasant, mountain lion. In one hour standing on the front porch I saw more deer (including bucks) in the first hour of the first morning than I've seen total in Georgia in the last 5 years. It's literally like shooting fish in a barrel there's so much game there.

Game harvested: Mule Deer 2 does, 1 4x5 buck.

Would you do this hunt again: Yes

Rate overall experience: 10

Geffellz18

Something tells me those prices posted from 10-15 yrs ago are no longer relevant!
I’d actually consider a guided hunt for some of those prices…..Now they seem to be 2-3x’s that much!
Neat thread though…

Last edited:

rawolfee

Normally we hunt in Wyoming, but didn't draw tags this year. Last minute hunt put together by my uncle from Michigan. We ha a good time, even though rut was pretty much over by the time we hunted.

State hunted: Tennessee, between Dover and Clarksville.

Total price of hunt: 1200 for 3 days (2200 all in including lodging, food, tag, and gas)

Land (private/wma/leased): private, approximately 500 acres

Guide service used: self hunt, blinds were setup throughout property.

Website of sevice: no website. My uncle hunted this land several years ago and set it up. I think it's mostly word of mouth. I have a picture of flyer if anyone is interested.

Game seen: several does, 4 bucks

Game harvested: missed nice 8pt @ 200yds

Would you do this hunt again: yes

Rate overall experience: 8[/QUOTE]