Wool Hunting Clothes

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Actually, wool will keep you warm when it`s wet. Wool is a very good material for clothes. Merino wool is even better.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
If you are not impressed with a trendy name tag, you might check out the military surplus inventory at Sportsman's Guide. Much of their gear is brand new, never issued and comes from such places as Germany, Czechoslovakia, Russia, etc. It is cold over there and those people know how to keep warm. The quality of some of the garments that I have purchased is unbelievable and so is the price.

JohnyBlaze999

Over the years, I purchased a vest, jacket, and Cabelas Wooltimate park http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-wool-hunting-jackets/ when they went on sale. I really like things, but I rarely wear a park. I found that I really didn’t like the heavy and bulky outer layer, especially for bow hunting. My favorite choice for very cool seats is the Wooltimate MTO50 rain coat, over layered layers of merino wool. If it's actually cold, for example, 10 degrees with -20 windmills, and I go hunting with an open tree stand, then I will put one of these stickers on my back.

Last edited:

oldguy

Actually, wool will keep you warm when it`s wet. Wool is a very good material for clothes. Merino wool is even better.
Showed my granddaughter a wool hunting shirt I bought at the PX in 1970. She said "No wonder it's out of style." I told her that style is just something to make folks spend $$. Wool was keeping people warm 100s of years ago. It's keeping people warm now. And it will be keeping people warm 100 years from now! Practical never goes out of style. So much for "old school". Wonder where "light weight and warm" will be 100 years from now?

Dusty Roads

Over the years, I purchased a vest, jacket, and Cabelas Wooltimate park http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-wool-hunting-jackets/ when they went on sale. I really like things, but I rarely wear a park. I found that I really didn’t like the heavy and bulky outer layer, especially for bow hunting. My favorite choice for very cool seats is the Wooltimate MTO50 rain coat, over layered layers of merino wool. If it's actually cold, for example, 10 degrees with -20 windmills, and I go hunting with an open tree stand, then I will put one of these stickers on my back.
I've done both-like the new school Capalene and the like to skin than layering depending on weather.
Old school down is unbeatable for dry days in my book.

NorthGaHunter

I commented earlier in this post (2013) about Sleeping Indian being out of business. When the NRA convention was in Atlanta in April 2017, they had a booth. After the owner passed away, I believe his children sold the company/rights so the company is back in business.

I believe I have a Highline Shirt purchased when Cabelas sold it on their website in 2008. Later, I sent the shirt to sleeping Indian and had them add a couple of pockets on it.

At the NRA show in 2017, I ordered a vest (Castillo Vest I believe). A couple of years ago, I decided to order the Mountain Hunter jacket while I could get one in the event they ever went out of business.

I have not worn the mountain hunter jacket yet, but the vest and shirt (which I use as a jacket) I have used a lot.

If interested in wool clothing, Sleeping Indian is the best. I believe they also make clothing for some of the U.S. military.

For pants, I have a pair of green wool pants from Johnson Woolens out of Vermont.

https://www.sleepingindianusa.com/

Artfuldodger

I have some of the new non-natural thermal underwear and some fleece stuff like Polarguard, etc.
Whatever I can find in 2nd hand stores. I also buy old used merino and cashmere sweaters for outdoor use. I have some silk thermals and an alpaca stocking cap as well.
I have a Marmot fleece shirt that I like and a down jacket.

I usually have an acrylic or poly base and then go with the wool and down over this. Although the merino and cashmere aren't itchy.

And wool does insulate even when wet.

strothershwacker

Merino wool early season. Gets cooler, stack regular wool on that, gets bitter cold, put goose down on top of all that. They ain't a synthetic made that holds a candle to the old stuff. Like the wool hat in my picture. (Had it bout 5 years now) I've sweated in it and it never gets smelly like a ball cap. I'm completely sold on wool.

CroMagnum

Merino wool early season. Gets cooler, stack regular wool on that, gets bitter cold, put goose down on top of all that. They ain't a synthetic made that holds a candle to the old stuff. Like the wool hat in my picture. (Had it bout 5 years now) I've sweated in it and it never gets smelly like a ball cap. I'm completely sold on wool.
I just started wearing merino wool and I'm sold too. Better than the polyester "tech" tee and long johns