Words From The Past, Sometime In The 1940`s

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Some monern deer hunter will be along shortly to tell us a fall turkey season with scattering flocks with dogs will run all the deer out of Ga.:ROFLMAO:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
GA 9,747 spring birds

WV 9,366 spring birds, 694 fall birds
Shorter and later spring season, plus there's a mountaineer heritage season, single shot BP rifle or shotgun, percussion or flintlock, longbow or recurve, don't have the numbers for it

22 Hornet or magnum are classic Turkey rounds, especially for a rifle/shotgun combo

buckpasser

We all hold our opinions in high regard especially as it pertains to ethics. Mine are better than yours!

Hillbilly stalker

GA 9,747 spring birds

WV 9,366 spring birds, 694 fall birds
Shorter and later spring season, plus there's a mountaineer heritage season, single shot BP rifle or shotgun, percussion or flintlock, longbow or recurve, don't have the numbers for it

22 Hornet or magnum are classic Turkey rounds, especially for a rifle/shotgun combo
Do you still have to quit hunting at 12 o’clock ?

turkeykirk

in NY , in the Spring, you can hunt till 12. You can hunt all day in the Fall.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Probably 50% of the reason I turkey hunt is for that in your face gobble . And while they will gobble in the fall it’s nothing like spring time . 40% is because I love to be in the woods , and to me there’s no better time than a beautiful cool spring morning listening to all of Gods creatures wake up . And the other 10% I guess would have to be the killing , I do love to shoot one .
I have to admit I’ve never done it but don’t think I’d much enjoy the fall hunting . Especially not with a rifle . I’d like to give flushing them with a dog and calling them back up a try one day .

WOODIE13

There's no guarantee with fall hunting. I've shot my share with everything from a rifle, shotgun and bow. I've called them in gobbling, set up blind and called them off the roost, busted them up and called them back, stalked them and even paddled up on them in a boat.

We have always had a fall season here, used to be only in certain counties, but @ 7 years ago all have a fall season, varies in length from 1 to 3 weeks. Normally I'm not specifically targeting them, usually a target of opportunity during small game, waterfowl or Archery season, but I will always have a call with me just in case.

Our annual limit has always been 2, but no more than 1 in the fall.

It's whatever you get used to as acceptable, just like grits, mayo potato salad and boiled peanuts...

WOODIE13

Plus 2 bands...was a great day

WOODIE13

There may be another bird we hunt during their mating season, but I can’t think of it. I think a fall archery turkey season would be a lot of fun.
They say waterfowl pair up in January...

WOODIE13

Time to go steel shot, nothing bigger than #2s????

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I have never hunted turkey in the fall.
Over the years while deer huntin in the fall there's been 3 times where a gobbler or gobblers were randomly seen off in the distance by me in a deer stand. I produced hen yelps with whatever turkey call I had left over in my back, or I just use my mouth and the gobbler/gobblers came right up to stand. Though none of the just described situations had a bird gobble, I have a few other times heard a distant bird gobble in the fall.
I too enjoy the loud obnoxious gobbling on a spring turkey hunt. It's the reason I go.
My Tennessee friends have told to come up and hunt turkey in the fall with them and I never have. They don't really care to hunt turkey in the fall either but they said we'd all go if I came up. I never thought it would be exciting for me. But I don't know cause I havn't tried it.
Happy fathers day and y'all have fun!

WOODIE13

I have never hunted turkey in the fall.
Over the years while deer huntin in the fall there's been 3 times where a gobbler or gobblers were randomly seen off in the distance by me in a deer stand. I produced hen yelps with whatever turkey call I had left over in my back, or I just use my mouth and the gobbler/gobblers came right up to stand. Though none of the just described situations had a bird gobble, I have a few other times heard a distant bird gobble in the fall.
I too enjoy the loud obnoxious gobbling on a spring turkey hunt. It's the reason I go.
My Tennessee friends have told to come up and hunt turkey in the fall with them and I never have. They don't really care to hunt turkey in the fall either but they said we'd all go if I came up. I never thought it would be exciting for me. But I don't know cause I havn't tried it.
Happy fathers day and y'all have fun!
Come to WV, try it, way different, but those southern calls...oh my

WOODIE13

Or do it in the spring...way different