Workplace Progressives? Mid-range or Near-range glasses?

Artfuldodger

I never got used to wearing Standard Progressives. They work great television and for driving and reading the gauges, etc. They don't work good the computer or reading.

I suggested getting bi-focals to the eye doctor and he said he tried that and he hated them worse than standard progressives. That they made him dizzy going up steps, etc.

I thought about these Workplace ones but you can't wear them to drive. I'd have to wear my standard progressives. Not much different than what I do now, switching back and forth to Readers.

https://www.zennioptical.com/workspace-progressives

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've tried it all, and wound up correcting distance with contacts, and keeping dollar store readers all over the place.

Progressive lensed glasses are ok, but I can't get completely used to them...

I tried the multi focal contacts, and the "middle zone" just didn't work for me.

At work I use safety reader shades, +1.5 or 2.0. Took a minute to get used to, but they are my best option.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My job requires reading at several distances so progressives work for me. Takes some getting used to but the best solution for me.

Artfuldodger

The doctor said there is nothing wrong with wearing my progressives and switching to readers to read or use the computer. He said 40 year olds adapt to progressives pretty easy but 60 year olds don't.

Even If I could, I don't like having to read with my nose as they say. I may just stick to readers but if those Mid range progressives aren't too expensive I may grab a pair.

I have to wear 2.75 readers so if I'm working on a car and have to walk back to the shop for a tool, it makes me a bit dizzy. I have some 2.50's that I can work and walk in, lol. Those Mid ranges would let me see good for 14 feet. I might could wear them, look at the computer and get up and go watch TV all with the same pair.
You just can't wear them to drive in.

TomC

After 30+ years of wearing contacts I now wear progressives full time. Eyes got to where they would just dry out with contacts constantly. Been a couple of years since the change and after using a few pairs / styles of progressives I learned that that the larger the physical size of lens the better. I like the slimmer lenses in terms of look but the blur / dizzy factor was to much to take. With the smaller lenses even the slightest movement of my head took me out of the sweet spot for the lens whether up close or at distance. I've settled on some larger lenses in my progressives and the difference is night and day. No real issues driving, reading a book, computer work or whatever.

Very pleased the higher end larger lenses from Costco.

Didn't have any issues switching to progressives such as dizziness or difficulty on stairs or ladders. Must have gotten the zones just right for seemless near/far. I work and drive without issue. However, I'm a reader and progressives totally don't work for me on that. I would need to cock my head up to look through the bottom of the lense or try to read a book held down by my chest.
Contacts and readers work with some work issues with close detail work. Basically resolve that by always wearing readers shoved down on my nose so I'm looking over them but can tilt my head to use the readers.
Wearing the glasses now and just solve the reading issue by taking them off to read but I have to put them on to see across the room to the TV.

Artfuldodger

After 30+ years of wearing contacts I now wear progressives full time. Eyes got to where they would just dry out with contacts constantly. Been a couple of years since the change and after using a few pairs / styles of progressives I learned that that the larger the physical size of lens the better. I like the slimmer lenses in terms of look but the blur / dizzy factor was to much to take. With the smaller lenses even the slightest movement of my head took me out of the sweet spot for the lens whether up close or at distance. I've settled on some larger lenses in my progressives and the difference is night and day. No real issues driving, reading a book, computer work or whatever.

Very pleased the higher end larger lenses from Costco.
I didn't think about the lens size. That does make sense that the three different areas of distance, intermediate, and close up would be larger. I'll try some bigger ones next time.
What if the bottom of the lens touch your face, is that an issue? I never wore glasses back when glasses were bigger.

Artfuldodger

Didn't have any issues switching to progressives such as dizziness or difficulty on stairs or ladders. Must have gotten the zones just right for seemless near/far. I work and drive without issue. However, I'm a reader and progressives totally don't work for me on that. I would need to cock my head up to look through the bottom of the lense or try to read a book held down by my chest.
Contacts and readers work with some work issues with close detail work. Basically resolve that by always wearing readers shoved down on my nose so I'm looking over them but can tilt my head to use the readers.
Wearing the glasses now and just solve the reading issue by taking them off to read but I have to put them on to see across the room to the TV.
Sounds exactly like me. If doing some control panel work on something electrical, I'd have to switch to readers. Or just looking at wiring diagrams. Also if I was doing something like looking at a car fuse box under the dash. No way I could do that for any length of time. A quick glance would be possible but not any long term work.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I will share I just updated my progressives. Lens size makes a difference. I chose a smaller lenses so my focal area is smaller, have to move my head a bit more. It’s so second nature now it takes a change for me to notice moving to focus. It’s not a real problem but has an impact.