World apart

Stumpsitter

Found a few good ones this morning. The one on the right looks to be a world a part from the others. Any guesses on age of these

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looks like from left to right, an Abby, South Prong Creek, and I`d like to take a closer look at the one on the right, Tallahassee maybe. If the base of it is ground, I`d say exhausted Dalton. Put a quarter in the picture next time for scale.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Not sure on that one on the right, I believe it is a Woodland era piece though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice finds! And as Nic said, the one on the right is either several thousand years older or newer than the two on the left. I would also lean toward a newer Woodland era point, the flaking pattern and size doesn't look like a Dalton, and the base doesn't look ground. But, the serrations look quite Dalton-ish.

Stumpsitter

Thanks hillbilly. The area these were found was up on a hill between 2 natural springs. No telling how long they lived on that hill. Plenty of game and fresh water. No reason to leave.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Something to keep in mind. A good campsite 12,000 years ago was probably a good campsite 800 years ago. I`ve seen more than one multi-occupational campsite. If I start finding potsherds then I figure it was an established village site. Pottery didn`t travel well, especially all you had for pack animals was dogs, and maybe none of them either. The same for metates.

Stumpsitter

Pottery has been found at the spring in the past by the previous owner. Only thing close to that I have found is a dished out perfectly round rock. Almost looks like concrete about 4" tall. It very heavy