Would you chance a new caliber currently?

Tight Lines

It really depends on how much you plan to use it and for what...I just bought a .338 Win Mag and had to chase down 5 boxes of ammo...but I'm not going to shoot it every weekend...6.5 Creedmoor is a great round...I have 2 of them...anything outside NATO (5.56, 7.62, 9MM, etc.) is going to be harder to find...

Dub

Tough call.

If I strictly go by the NEEDS side of the proverbial ledger sheet....then no. Not adding anything new.

The issue normally becomes a case of listening to the WANTS side.....wins every time. :rofl:

For example.....I have a pair of 10mm and .44mag handguns. My needs are well met for any handgun hunting I'm likely to do.

But I have this nagging compulsion that's urging me to jump on a .460 S&W.

chuckdog

Tough call.

If I strictly go by the NEEDS side of the proverbial ledger sheet....then no. Not adding anything new.

The issue normally becomes a case of listening to the WANTS side.....wins every time. :rofl:

For example.....I have a pair of 10mm and .44mag handguns. My needs are well met for any handgun hunting I'm likely to do.

But I have this nagging compulsion that's urging me to jump on a .460 S&W.

Fill a cylinder full of 300 grain .44's atop a heaping dose of H110/W296 and your compulsion for more may fade right on away.

I've loaded .44 Mag beyond all reason in Blackhawks. I was young and enjoyed every minute of it. I would imagine a lot of that fun has contributed to my hands poor condition today.

Reactions: Dub

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have been wanting to add a 300 Blackout for a while, but decided now is not the time to do it. Ammo is so hard to find, and when you do find it online, its crazy expensive.
.300 BO is a good caliber if you reload. If you don't, you're better off getting a 7.62x39.

Dub

Fill a cylinder full of 300 grain .44's atop a heaping dose of H110/W296 and your compulsion for more may fade right on away.

I've loaded .44 Mag beyond all reason in Blackhawks. I was young and enjoyed every minute of it. I would imagine a lot of that fun has contributed to my hands poor condition today.

I suspect you are right on target.

A big ole healthy dose of H110/W296 in one of the 44mags is more than adequate for anything I need.

Now...take the similar weight bullets from my .44mag and then double that powder charge for those .460S&W loads.....boy howdy....it'll be like plugging into 220v. :rofl:

.300 BO is a good caliber if you reload. If you don't, you're better off getting a 7.62x39.

Agreed on the reloading for it. Lots of nice cast bullet options.

Seems like the .300 BO really comes into it's own with subsonic suppressed shooting. Outside of that, I can't see ever personally having much interest in it.

Darkhorse

I'm not getting any younger and my guns aren't getting any lighter, or kicking less either.
So lately the idea of a 6.5 Creedmore in a light rifle is starting to appeal to me. If such a firearm in a LH configuration becomes available and if I had the funds and wanted it, I wouldn't have a problem jumping on it. Even if it was immediately destined for my gun safe.
Because I think the caliber choice is wise and eventually ammo or components will become available.
And in the meantime I still have my tried and true guns to fall back on.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like the .300 BO really comes into it's own with subsonic suppressed shooting. Outside of that, I can't see ever personally having much interest in it.
Which is not very useful for much of anything practical unless you do a lot of sneaking around killing people. :)

hayseed_theology

I wouldn't have a problem buying a new caliber right now. I think you will be able to find a few boxes before deer season.

Dub

Alright... I'm trusting yall! Lol just need a box to sight in and a box to hunt! ??

Sweet !!!!!!!

Congrats on what's gotta be a sweet rifle. 6.3 lbs of ultra-accurate goodness.

Please keep us updated on how the rifle does for you. What are you planning to top it with ?

The Ridgeline is the quintessential hunting rifle. Offered in twenty chamberings, the rifle features a sporter carbon fiber composite gunstock and a stainless steel radial muzzle brake built around a light target contour Christensen Arms carbon fiber wrapped barrel. The Ridgeline weighs in starting at 6.3 pounds and is backed by the Christensen Arms Sub-MOA Guarantee.

35 Whelen

No. No need.

FlipKing

Plan is to out a Vortex Razor LHT 3x15x42 as my dedicated hunting rifle and my goal is to have it at 8lbish total.

Mattval

Sure but what you want. Ammo will eventually come back....maybe...

doomtrpr_z71

6.5 creedmoor is hard to not get into, new primed brass for 50cent is hard to pass up with the current ammo situation.

pottydoc

They had a 6.5 on the shelf. Said they might could get me a .308 in a few months. Lol. Guess I could buy the match now and find the hunting ammo in the next 6 months
Tons of 308 on line. Might not be the brands you recognize, and it’s not cheap, but it’s out there. Just do a google search for ammo for sale.

FlipKing

@pottydoc Oh I have plenty of .308 ammo. I meant the rifle. I decided to chance it and bought the 6.5.