Wyoming elk hunt

atlashunter

Anyone hunted Wy ? Can't decide on hunting on my own or going with a guide. Tys for any help.

If it’s anything like pronghorn it might take you a while to draw a tag in a good unit.

Christian hughey

And how difficult was it to acquire that tag ?is there a lottery or did you get over counter tags ? Do they have specific units you are assigned to? I am interested in going out soon as I figure out some details and pin point some good diy public land out there to get goin.

acurasquirrel

If it’s anything like pronghorn it might take you a while to draw a tag in a good unit.

Or you can draw a tag in a not so amazing unit every year while building points. You can hunt and harvest antelope every year in Wyoming.

Phillip Thurmond

Huntetthere twice, if you don’t get off the road your fighting crowds. Your best bet is to get a semi guided hunt. We had someone take us back about 23 miles from a road and drop us. Came bac a week later to pick us up and use horses to get the elk out. 1st time very successful with three of us all having shots and two killed. Second time nothing at all. It’s kind of hit and miss.

660griz

Got a tag, just have never hunted Wy , kinda thought I might just pay a trespass fee on a ranch.
I think this is your best best. Depending on when you go, once they get pressured they seem to take shelter on private lands. In CO, I would hunt the edge of private land. Saw lots of elk and I didn't have to go way back. 2 miles off the trail. I have the Garmin Rino with the hunting map. Shows private land borders.