Xbow strings fray each season

Wayne D Davis

I've had my Barnett Game crusher going on my third season. Also will be replacing my string the third time due to fraying. I keep the string waxed so I'm starting to think it's rubbing while riding on back while slung? If this is the case I need to figure out how to carry it without eating my strings up. Anyone had this problem?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Where is the fraying showing up? My wraps came apart close to the cams and I was wondering how that happened. It isn’t the most comfy thing to tote for sure.

ryanh487

how are you waxing?

The best way is to apply a thick, liberal coat of wax, and then melt it in with a hairdryer. I've had a cheap walmart crossbow for 8 years now without any sign of fraying between the melted in wax and regular use of rail lube.

Wayne D Davis

how are you waxing?

The best way is to apply a thick, liberal coat of wax, and then melt it in with a hairdryer. I've had a cheap walmart crossbow for 8 years now without any sign of fraying between the melted in wax and regular use of rail lube.
This is supposed to be top notch material from Backwoods bowstrings in Woodstock

Hillbilly stalker

Do it just like a bow string. Apply a liberal amount of wax. Then take a soft thin piece of leather and squeeze the string in it with medium pressure. Rub it back and forth kinda fast. The friction will heat up the wax and work it into the fibers. Depending on how much you shoot, but 2-3 times a year is usually enough. They recommend rail lube every 5 shots and don’t wax the serving.

ddd-shooter

As long as your fibers(full strands) are all good, that string should be fine another season. I mean, it doesn’t look all that great, but as long as you regularly wax, you shouldn’t have any problems. Keep an eye on your servings, and the area that travels along cams and rails. Everything else is typically aesthetic, unless you are getting more significant fraying. And yes, with newer string materials, I’ve noticed fraying is easier when rubbing on my clothing, so maybe adjust your carry.

Jim Boyd

I have had two Parker’s (one is about 9 years old and the other is about 4 years old) and my brother has a 10 Point bow that is about 6-7 years old. Neither has ever had a string replacement or any fraying. I keep mine waxed and the rail lubed - I rather think he does not.

I just wonder if there is a string upgrade from any suppliers out there.

Good luck.

BowanaLee

Considering where its at, I doubt the xbow is doing it ? I use Trident silicone grease. I think its still good. ....If the cables fray where they rub under the stock, serve it. A year after serving and mine still look new. It hasn't damaged the teflon pad either.

jbogg

I have the same issue with mine. During bow season it’s common to cover a few miles in the mountains while looking for fresh bear sign. I have noticed when I use the sling with the crossbow slung over one shoulder the bow string rubs against my pack on my back. This happens whether it’s cocked or not. I end up just carrying it out in front with both hands for this reason.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Make sure you are not using wax on your rail. I did that when I bought new wax that was NOT RAIL LUBE. The chapstick tube I got with it was wax AND lube.....the stuff I bought was just wax.
I know it’s not the server, but it may be making The string vibrate or something. My first string came unraveled at the cam ends and it shot sporadically......new string is dead on, so I am not shooting it for fun anymore.....I’ll check it before season

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I have the same issue with mine. During bow season it’s common to cover a few miles in the mountains while looking for fresh bear sign. I have noticed when I use the sling with the crossbow slung over one shoulder the bow string rubs against my pack on my back. This happens whether it’s cocked or not. I end up just carrying it out in front with both hands for this reason.
for the miles through brush Wayne walked last season I think that string did pretty well and I’d definitely use it next year unless a full strand was cut.
All ropes fray with use and friction.
Looked great from here.
Well the bottom pic does.
The top is how you store or carry.

whchunter

Check cam alignment. View cocked and unlocked for cam lean.

Wayne D Davis

This I believe is my string problem. Not very bad but I just had the string put on before deer archery 2019 so i thought I'd get better mileage. I carry allot with the butt resting on my belt up front. Thing is I climb allot of hills and some require grabbing brush and trees.... the ground even to navigate. Also crossing water. Im not as nimble as I use to be with bad knees and ankle. After over a mile I may even find me a walking stick. The bow rides my back often. I may try switching shoulders or try flipping it nose down out front.

Wayne D Davis

for the miles through brush Wayne walked last season I think that string did pretty well and I’d definitely use it next year unless a full strand was cut.
All ropes fray with use and friction.
Looked great from here.
Well the bottom pic does.
The top is how you store or carry.
Yep..... lots of miles. That bottom photo is the left side that rides away from from back. Top photo is right hand side