Yahoola Resevoir?

gcpd957

Does anyone know if the Yahoola Resevoir in Dahlonega is open year round for Bass? And if so, is it even worth the drive for the fishing? I tried looking up internet articles but couldn't come up with anything good.

gcpd957

lizard dragger, the smilies scream sarcasm. I'll only fish your hole one day at max. I wont steal all your fish! However if the smilies were not sarcasm, well, then ill take your advice and stay down here at Tribble Nibble.

gcpd957

How big is the reservoir and what species of fish does it have in it? Also, is there a fee to use the lake?

Dunno the size, they have a launch ramp for electrics. It has all species of panfish,bass, and trout as its fed by the yahoola creek. Looks to be maybe a hundred acres or less. However you can float down the yahoola for more spots to fish so i would imagine if you dont run into real shallow water or raging torrents the fishing could be limitless.

deerhunter09

Dunno the size, they have a launch ramp for electrics. It has all species of panfish,bass, and trout as its fed by the yahoola creek. Looks to be maybe a hundred acres or less. However you can float down the yahoola for more spots to fish so i would imagine if you dont run into real shallow water or raging torrents the fishing could be limitless.

Thanks for the info, I assume it closes at sundown like so many other small reservoirs?

russ010

Yahoola is open pretty much from sunup to 11pm.. no fees. I have fished out there til 1am with no hassles though. Just make sure you have a current license when you fish there... I think I've only been there once or twice when the game warden wasn't there checking licenses - and he will write you a ticket (you'll see all the angry bank fishers who don't have them)

And there are some bigguns in there (look at my avatar, 3lbs and 7lbs)

The coldest time I was up there was this past march (Lizard Drager was there too..). We had a small pot tourney with 3 boats in the water. I had a few fish with a 5.5lb kicker, Lizard Drager had a 4-4.5lb, and the other guys out there with us... well, their best 5 fish went nearly 25lbs, and best 6 were at 30lbs.

But one thing about that lake, you're either going to catch fish, or nothing - and a lot of people have a hard time catching fish up there. Don't get discouraged and keep fishing it... you'll have that place figured out in a few trips, it's not like it's a huge lake

Last edited:

gcpd957

Yahoola is open pretty much from sunup to 11pm.. no fees. I have fished out there til 1am with no hassles though. Just make sure you have a current license when you fish there... I think I've only been there once or twice when the game warden wasn't there checking licenses - and he will write you a ticket (you'll see all the angry bank fishers who don't have them)

And there are some bigguns in there (look at my avatar, 3lbs and 7lbs)

The coldest time I was up there was this past march (Lizard Drager was there too..). We had a small pot tourney with 3 boats in the water. I had a few fish with a 5.5lb kicker, Lizard Drager had a 4-4.5lb, and the other guys out there with us... well, their best 5 fish went nearly 25lbs, and best 6 were at 30lbs.

But one thing about that lake, you're either going to catch fish, or nothing - and a lot of people have a hard time catching fish up there. Don't get discouraged and keep fishing it... you'll have that place figured out in a few trips, it's not like it's a huge lake

Thanks for the info, those are some nice ones. Ill head up that way soon and give er a try.

Pauley

What is the easiest way to get there going up 400?

russ010

go 400 north to where 4 lanes turn into 2 lanes at that traffic light. Turn left, and go to the end of that road and turn right onto main street. Go past walmart, and thru the next light... cross over the bridge and the ramp will be the first right past the bridge

I can't remember the road names or numbers... but i think the road that I'm calling main street is hwy 60?

Pauley

go 400 north to where 4 lanes turn into 2 lanes at that traffic light. Turn left, and go to the end of that road and turn right onto main street. Go past walmart, and thru the next light... cross over the bridge and the ramp will be the first right past the bridge

I can't remember the road names or numbers... but i think the road that I'm calling main street is hwy 60?

I appreciate the info... I will have to check it out

MerkyWaters

I dont think there are any trout in there. Perch? There are crappie in there but not any perch but do not expect to catch anything big enough to eat!

Coenen

Good luck with that. It's a tough lake to get any info on. You'll pretty much have to go up there and fish it to see what it's about. To me that means one of two things; either it's bad and no one goes, or it's pretty good and guys are trying to keep a lid on it.

For my part, I had a buddy snag a pretty good one up there last week. He says it ate a rainbow trout pattern Little Cleo, go figure. I'm trying to get up a little recon mission with one of my other friends here in the next few weeks. If that comes together, I'll post a report.

chewy32

Good deal were going Wednesday and then again the next weekend for a tournament. Is trout their main food source or are there shas in the lake also I'm sure there's some panfish to feed on