Yote hunting at night need help

coolbreezeroho

Well I tagged out this week on bucks. So I still have 3 weeks of vacation to use up ? What the best way to get yotes coming to a spot to get a shot at them. I can set up on a gravel road behind a locked gate and be 100 yards off from them . I was thinking .....Take some raw chicken and place it in a spot for a couple of nights then try to hunt it. I have one of the 300 yard lights that mounts to a rifle ..The light is green. Also for the first couple of nights I could set a camera up on it to see whats taking the bait.

Any ideas on if this would work or not ? Any one have a better way ?

Fork Horn

A deer carcass works much better than chicken, in my experience . Last year my son and I killed several coyotes at night that were coming to deer scraps that were left over after we killed and butchered a deer. We would stake the rib cage down, so it couldn’t be moved, and then checked it throughout the night, which we could do from our house with a thermal scope. With cold weather, the deer remains would last many nights or longer, if we could kill the coyotes without giving them to much time to eat. We even picked up one road killed deer (almost a fawn it was so small) that was almost eaten up and managed to kill two coyotes coming to it.

Once the deer carcasses were completely eaten, our sightings of coyotes about ended. There was a small grocery store near us and we knew one of the meat cutters very well and ask about getting some of the meat they were throwing away after the date of use expired. It was shocking to see how much meat they were actually throwing out and we luckily got a bunch, several different times amounting to a couple hundred pounds at least. Although we killed a dozen or so coyotes coming to the deer carcasses (in a months time) we only killed one coyote coming to the meat pile. Of course we had already killed a bunch of the coyotes in the area before we put the meat out, so that was part of the difference. The biggest difference was coyotes could come by the meat pile, grab a piece and run to cover to eat it, making it less likely that we would see them. We weren’t sitting out all night watching, which might have made a difference. We would check before going to bed and than get up several times at night to scan the field with the thermal scope. If a coyote was there, we’d move about 100 yards closer, as fast as we could, and then take a shot at around 200 yards. Since the coyotes didn’t stay at the meat pile for very long, we missed seeing them most of the time. If your sitting out and watching all night, putting out chicken might work as well as the deer carcasses. But from my experience, just sitting and watching is hard to do in the dark, especially when you’re not seeing anything.

coolbreezeroho

Buy some yard bird and put it out with a camera on it a night or two. Then if the yotes are hitting it I will stake it to the ground or hang it up in the air with a rope. Set up 100 to 150 yards away and see if I cant pop one or two of them. May have to see if I can find some deer carcasses ...

seeker

I don't have any advice but I want to wish you major success. Kill them all.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Since you have so much vacation. Buy a electronic caller and hunt anytime day or night.

Latest posts