You had to see it to believe it

Sorry there is no photographic evidence, you’ll just have to take my word. While fishing the Nantahala DH yesterday I spied a young 20 something carrot top fellow step into the stream some 30 or so yards below me. Accompanying him was a gal who appeared to be new to FF. I discerned this as she was in jeans, white t shirt and sneakers. He, apparently a guide, hands her the long rod. First drift the rod doubles over. She sets the hook with some force as I see the fishing come flying over the guides head. He takes a tennis server’s swing and catches the fish over his head in his net! Then second drift her rod is bent again. I’m watching this knowing I’ve had only 4 hookups in 2 hours. I had to stop and wade down stream to congratulate her. And yes, she did confirm it was her first time ever fly fishing. Quite humbling to this angler.?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Sorry there is no photographic evidence, you’ll just have to take my word. While fishing the Nantahala DH yesterday I spied a young 20 something carrot top fellow step into the stream some 30 or so yards below me. Accompanying him was a gal who appeared to be new to FF. I discerned this as she was in jeans, white t shirt and sneakers. He, apparently a guide, hands her the long rod. First drift the rod doubles over. She sets the hook with some force as I see the fishing come flying over the guides head. He takes a tennis server’s swing and catches the fish over his head in his net! Then second drift her rod is bent again. I’m watching this knowing I’ve had only 4 hookups in 2 hours. I had to stop and wade down stream to congratulate her. And yes, she did confirm it was her first time ever fly fishing. Quite humbling to this angler.?
Did you get the guide's number? Sounds like it might be worth having.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Did you ask what fly he had tied on for her?

flyrod444

Fish stocked in dh water tend to hang out in same spots every season depending on how floods change the stream and where they are stocked in it. Most guides locate these holding areas before they take clients to the stream. This guide sounds like he knew exactly where the fish would be. I see people fish water in the tuck all the time that gives them 0 chance of catching a trout.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fish stocked in dh water tend to hang out in same spots every season depending on how floods change the stream and where they are stocked in it. Most guides locate these holding areas before they take clients to the stream. This guide sounds like he knew exactly where the fish would be. I see people fish water in the tuck all the time that gives them 0 chance of catching a trout.
In all trout streams, I see a lot of people standing where the fish used to be, fishing where they never will be. :)

OwlRNothing

10% of the fishermen (or women, whatever) catch 90% of the fish. All we can do some days is admit that we've somehow become that 90% of the fisherman catching the 10%. I once watched a guy 40 yards above me on the Davidson catching fish. I'd caught 6 all day and worked hard for them, fishing a #22 gnat most of the day. I had to move it just right, at the right time to trigger a subtle, half-hearted take by all but one of the fish.
This guy above me was catching a fish on every cast. Seriously, just as fast as he could release one and cast again, he was landing another one. I'd just fished through there an hour before him and got not a single hit.

The only thing I can figure is that I was just really off my game that day - or he was using that new ( at the time ) squishy wurm fly or something. It was amazing to see him catching them so fast, but I was a little bit jealous at the time. Sometimes you're Bill Dance and sometimes you're that uncle that couldn't catch a cold and that's why they don't call it "going catching" I guess! :)

Dean

Yep, years ago I fished the DH sections (GA, NC mostly) on a semi-regularly. On 1 NC DH water I eliminated enough water to find that major holding place. Literally get eaten on almost every drift, I chalked it up to one of those special days. However, another visit to that same water, and I went back to the same rock, and didn't move 20 yards all afternoon - more hook ups than I could count. Subsequent trips yielded same, and it got to the point where it was really not challenging at all....anyway, as posted, have no doubt any guide on DH water knows exactly those 'spots' on a wadable DH. I tagged into a big 24"+ trout on the Nanty once that as I held it, it was clearly evident by the condition of its mouth that it had been caught/released a bunch. And it was a big enough fish that it must have lived in the same small pool because the water was really skinny above and below and probably impossible for it to journey up/down stream to another lye without some major flooding.....so yea, spend some time on these DH's and you can find the preverbal fish in a barrel.