Your best "near" wilderness camping destination in Canada

Israel

BANNED
Looking for Crown Land, lakeside or terribly close...prime pursuit walleye, but Pike are more than welcome, Quebec or Ontario. Will consider lodge/cottage...but I travel on the cheap.

Actually this may be more my desire to vicariously enjoy your experiences...but if a solid recommend comes up also, all the better.
I've fished Reservoir Gouin (big water), Temagami, several lakes near North Bay/ Nippising, and just looking for the wail of loons, shoreline undotted with homes, a shot at some good shore lunches, and the remote possibility of getting lost and being skeletonized. Enough "adventure" to remind me to take a compass. Maybe even bear spray.

Thanks

JJJSDAD

Looking for Crown Land, lakeside or terribly close...prime pursuit walleye, but Pike are more than welcome, Quebec or Ontario. Will consider lodge/cottage...but I travel on the cheap.

Actually this may be more my desire to vicariously enjoy your experiences...but if a solid recommend comes up also, all the better.
I've fished Reservoir Gouin (big water), Temagami, several lakes near North Bay/ Nippising, and just looking for the wail of loons, shoreline undotted with homes, a shot at some good shore lunches, and the remote possibility of getting lost and being skeletonized. Enough "adventure" to remind me to take a compass. Maybe even bear spray.

Thanks
When crossing into canada last year , I asked the Canadian immigration inspector that I could bring bear spray into Canada? The answer was no your bear spray is considered a weapon in Canada. We have bear spray you can purchase in Canada. If anyone hears wny thing different fine. I'm posting my expierence

Israel

BANNED
When crossing into canada last year , I asked the Canadian immigration inspector that I could bring bear spray into Canada? The answer was no your bear spray is considered a weapon in Canada. We have bear spray you can purchase in Canada. If anyone hears wny thing different fine. I'm posting my expierence
That's interesting. I am going to guess the political influences in Canada, due to its radical reduction in population density once you get out of the cities is just a bit more pronounced than ours. I know trying to get in with a handgun (or right now...just trying to get in) is a pretty big no no...gotta refresh on the long gun issue, as the last time I went my brother and I plunked a lot with his .22 Marlin. (Should I expect a Mounty's visit at 2 am?)

One of the reasons I love Canada is because it's wild and foreign enough (esp Quebec) so I always get that "I'm not in Kansas anymore" feeling. But that's good to know because if they are that "specific" about bear spray I can only imagine what else is now strictly regulated. Maybe the bears are even agitating for their own personal pronouns.

We did see some black bear last trip...and loved stopping on the logging road to step around bear scat to collect wild blueberries. While making sure we did not get collected.

Last edited:

35 Whelen

I have fished Lake of the Woods, Georgian Bay, and a few smaller lakes in Ontario for muskie, pike, smallmouth bass, and crappie. Smallmouth bass on ultra light spinning tackle was the most fun. None of these were fly in locations, drove to all of them and rented a cabin and did our own cooking, much more economical than the typical "American Plan".

greg_n_clayton

I have always wanted to do one of those fly in trips. I guess just because of the remoteness. Would be my luck I would forget something !

Israel

BANNED
Try Alaska instead.
yeah...I hear ya, Alaska would be quite the trip. But I am thinking in terms of driving. And not wanting to spend more than to 1 1/2 days doing that. But yes...Halibut off the coast and trout and grayling otherwise. Plus gun laws far more amenable to our sensibilities.

Have you been? If so...got pics? Stories? I can hardly watch Dick Proennekes story without getting misty.
I'm gonna guess everyone is familiar, but if not...go to You Tube and look for his name. You won't be disappointed by his adventure.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
yeah...I hear ya, Alaska would be quite the trip. But I am thinking in terms of driving. And not wanting to spend more than to 1 1/2 days doing that. But yes...Halibut off the coast and trout and grayling otherwise. Plus gun laws far more amenable to our sensibilities.

Have you been? If so...got pics? Stories? I can hardly watch Dick Proennekes story without getting misty.
I'm gonna guess everyone is familiar, but if not...go to You Tube and look for his name. You won't be disappointed by his adventure.

I read his book a long time ago, a couple of times, and in last 5 years seen most of his videos. As for have I been, no, but that is a tale unto itself.

Israel

BANNED
I have fished Lake of the Woods, Georgian Bay, and a few smaller lakes in Ontario for muskie, pike, smallmouth bass, and crappie. Smallmouth bass on ultra light spinning tackle was the most fun. None of these were fly in locations, drove to all of them and rented a cabin and did our own cooking, much more economical than the typical "American Plan".
Yeah, my first trip was in 1970 to a lake in Ontario...went with two guys and rented a cabin/cottage on the lake (boat provided) for 45$ a week. I was hooked, even though I've only found the time for maybe 4 other trips. Had hoped to go this past June... those other trips were taking advantage of Crown land and camping shoreside...sometimes having to make a few canoe runs to bring our gear in.

One time I had a little island all to myself on Lake Talon outside of North Bay. Good times.
Never hassled. Hope that part has not changed too much.

Last edited:

JJJSDAD

JJJSDAD

Declare all weapons Don't let customs find one 6 months in Jail and around $25,000 in costs to get out of jail. How do I know distant cousin didn't know his uncle put a pistol under his seat in his car. I always get pulled over when pulling boat custom agent was asking questions I said I had a fillet knives she asked are they in a sheath I said yes. I asked if not. considered a weapon and I would be detained.

Israel

BANNED
Boundary Water Canoe Area. Ely, Minnesota. Smallmouth, Walleye, Trout, Pike, a plenty. Lots of water to explore. Wolves , moose, Native people.. It's a great trip.
Thank you...sounds great...I've done a little research on the Michigan's UP...sounds similar, no? And who knows if or when the border will again be open. But now I got another area to plug into Google...thanks.

greg j

Have you ever thought of Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior? Its in the USA but is closer to Canada than USA.
Can only be gotten to by boat/ferry and is pretty remote.

JJJSDAD

Boundary Water Canoe Area. Ely, Minnesota. Smallmouth, Walleye, Trout, Pike, a plenty. Lots of water to explore. Wolves , moose, Native people.. It's a great trip.[/QUOTEMake sure you stay in US waters your outfitter should help you. I stayed a Zups cottages didn't do the canoe trips. Google them they have been there a long time.

LittleDrummerBoy

Had a fishing trip to Ontario back when they were still free. Fishing was great. But I'm kinda fond of cabins and showers.

My wife and I did a fishing trip to Alaska for our 20th anniversary - a while back now. Great fishing, but again we stayed in cabins. If we did it again, we'd go straight to Resurrection Bay and spend the whole time there.

414215_3670908693381_1983858169_o.jpg

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I found this place in Quebec looking for an economical moose hunt. They have some good DIY fishing packages for pretty cheap.

https://www.nemio.com/forfait-e.php

Regarding Alaska, I can't recommend it enough but it's not cheap. I've been twice, once sight-seeing and salmon fishing and once on a waterfowl/blacktail hunting trip. If you go with a small group, I think you could hunt blacktails for about $2,500 to $3,000. Fishing would be slightly less, just the difference in license costs. This is a float plane fly in trip.

HPIM0878.JPGPICT0052.JPG

Sautee Ridgerunner

Ive been to Reservoir Gouin 14 times. 149 miles back a dirt road to get to martin outfitters. We killed a lot of bear there and tons of walleye and pike. Where have you been on gouin?

I did Baskatong a few years back and it was terrible but we went to Lake Kipawa 4 years ago and it was great. Taggart Bay Lodge.