Your experience with Winchester StaBALL 6.5

Geezer Ray

I just bought a pound of Winchester StaBALL 6.5 to load some rounds for a .270. If you have used this powder what is your opinion of it? Going to try 54.5gr with a Hornady SST 140gr. on top.

Dub

I have some that I wanted to try with 140gr BT in .270Win.

Was striking out finding H4831SC when the StaBall showed up in stock.

It looks promising.

Dub

Going to shoot 5 tomorrow through chronograph. 140gr SST and 54.5gr powder out of Ruger M77 MKII in .270

Sounds good.

A buddy clued me in to that powder when I was looking for 6.5CM powders.....funny thing is that it appeals to me more for use in .270Win hunting loads that it does for 6.5CM target fun.

Hoping you get some favorable runs with it. (y)

furtaker

I have some that I wanted to try with 140gr BT in .270Win.

Was striking out finding H4831SC when the StaBall showed up in stock.

It looks promising.
Funny, I've tried 4831sc in a 280, 6.5x55, and 240wby and I never could get any velocity with that powder. My dad has used it in his 270 and gets pretty good velocity even under max load.

trial&error

Firstly no experience with that powder,
but according to this loading info there are several that should produce similar speeds with much lower cup pressure. https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=54 for example 4350 pressure at max is 10,000cup lower with only a 100ft/sec reduction in speed. And a max load 1.5 gr less.

Since you already have it I'd still use it. curious to hear results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

Dub

Firstly no experience with that powder,
but according to this loading info there are several that should produce similar speeds with much lower cup pressure. https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=54 for example 4350 pressure at max is 10,000cup lower with only a 100ft/sec reduction in speed. And a max load 1.5 gr less.

Since you already have it I'd still use it. curious to hear results.
(y)(y)

I distinctly remember grabbing some when it became available online...nothing else was that entire week.....seemed to offer higher velocities in 6.5CM without an appreciable pressure increase....label verbiage mentioned "good in .270Win" and I put in the cart and got it.

Since then have seen what you are talking about....much higher pressures on .270Win/140gr than H4340 or H4831 (neither of which I was able to grab).

Still want to work up some loads for with the 140gr BT since it's what I have. Planning on starting at 51gr and moving up incrementally to watch for signs of overly high pressure.

Enthused to see what @Geezer Ray has to say after his range time.

TJay

I was looking at the reloading data for 7m08 and 120 grainers, 3200 fps! And 3100 fps for 130's. That's impressive!

Reactions: Dub

TJay

I just bought a pound of Winchester StaBALL 6.5 to load some rounds for a .270. If you have used this powder what is your opinion of it? Going to try 54.5gr with a Hornady SST 140gr. on top.
Geezer where did you find the StaBALL?

BriarPatch99

Both Winchester 6.5 STB and Hodgdon Hybrid H-100 are " Ball" powders made by St. Marks Powders ...that does not refer to their shape but the process with which they are made ... both contain Nitrocellulose and Nitroglycerin .... 6.5 STB is # 129 & H100 is # 128 on the burn chart .... they both contain tin dioxide & Calcium Carbonate (for decoppering) ...

Most likely if the truth be known they are most likely the same powder ...one in a Hodgdon bottle and the other in a Winchester bottle ....much like H110 & W296 and several others ...

It is a known fact that adding Nitroglycerin to the same amount/type of Nitrocellulose ....will cause pressures and burn temperatures to go up ...normally higher temperatures cause the higher pressures ... both coatings, particle size and added ingredients can regulate the burn speed.

Both H4350 & H4831 are single base powders and burn cooler than the similar "ball" powders ....
the .270 Win is rated @65,000 psi which is higher than most cartridges of it's era ...

Geezer Ray

Finally got to go and shoot my 5 rounds. This is my first experience with this power.
The rifle is 1994 Ruger M77 mkII in .270 caliber. Shooting off tailgate of my truck using a lead sled. I can't shoot near as good as Briarpatch99, but he's a lot older than I am. I shake a lot due to head injury and that's the excuse I am sticking to. Group was approx. 1.75" at 110 yards, hitting 1.5" high and <1" left and right of center.
Hornady SST BT 140gr
Winchester STaBall 6.5 54.5gr
Federal Primers (what I have)
Base to Ogive 2.627"
O.A.C.L. 3.246"
1) 2895 fps,,,,1st shot extreme clean barrel and oiled. 79 degrees
2) 3004 fps
3) 2937 fps
4) 3013 fps
5) 3026 fps
2975 fps average, 131 fps deviation including oily shot. Or 89 fps throwing out the oil. If that means anything.

trial&error

Looking back at this specifically for the 6.5 there isn't a huge difference in pressure or speed between the powders. My previous response was 270 related where there is a big difference in pressure.

BriarPatch99

Looking back at this specifically for the 6.5 there isn't a huge difference in pressure or speed between the powders. My previous response was 270 related where there is a big difference in pressure.

That was the .270 Win pressures I was referring to in post #11 ...

Jester896

Senior Clown
Both Winchester 6.5 STB and Hodgdon Hybrid H-100 are " Ball" powders made by St. Marks Powders ...that does not refer to their shape but the process with which they are made ... both contain Nitrocellulose and Nitroglycerin .... 6.5 STB is # 129 & H100 is # 128 on the burn chart .... they both contain tin dioxide & Calcium Carbonate (for decoppering) ...

Most likely if the truth be known they are most likely the same powder ...one in a Hodgdon bottle and the other in a Winchester bottle ....much like H110 & W296 and several others ...

The H100V I have used resembles extruded powder. I’m getting fond of it with Barnes bullets. I haven’t opened my 6.5STA but I thought it was a ball powder.

BriarPatch99

It is a known fact that adding Nitroglycerin to the same amount/type of Nitrocellulose ....will cause pressures and burn temperatures to go up ...normally higher temperatures cause the higher pressures ... both coatings, particle size and added ingredients can regulate the burn speed.

Both H4350 & H4831 are single base powders and burn cooler than the similar "ball" powders ....
the .270 Win is rated @65,000 psi which is higher than most cartridges of it's era ...