Your thoughts on high fence hunting

toddboucher

I was talking to my wife, about what's hunting to me. I told her I thought hunting behind a high fence is like going to a pet-n-kill zoo--
What are your thoughts if you disagree thats ok maybe I can learn from ya. (is this a hot issue)

QuakerBoy

HuntinTom said:
That's an under-statement ;)

even that is an understatement.

:whip:

Nugefan

:pop: :pop: :pop:

MSU bowhunter

It depends upon the size of the fence. I have never enjoyed the thought of killing deer in a fence, but those are based upon my thoughts of ethics and morals...and everyone's are different. I LOVE the idea of fair chase and hunting in the harshest and most difficult conditions; hunting that way gives me a bigger rush when I am successful.

I love to hunt, not kill.

7mm08

high fence

some of the ones i've been on in texas have been 5000 acres or bigger. that's a lot of land. those are pretty much free range deer. i've also been on some high fence hog hunts that were under 200 acres. that didn't seem fair chase to me.

Rob

I hate to exclude anytype of hunting, but overall I would have to say I am against fenced enclosures, because I do not think it is good for hunting in the long run. I realize a fenced operation can be managed in such a way that it is not shooting fish in a barrel (lots of land and not an overabundance of deer - like a lot of the places in TX). I also realize there are fenced enclosures that are not large in size that have an overabundance of deer and are like shooting fish in a barrel - when the general non-hunting public hears about these facilities it makes us all look bad.

Lthomas

High fencing is a very dangerous sport. Most fencing teams do it on the gymnasium floor. Doing it from up high is an accident waiting to happen. Someone could fall and get hurt.

BBurn

If I win the lottery, I may feel differently.... but I think High Fence hunting does more harm to the sport of hunting than the occasional spot-lighter.

In today's world, the anti's use everything they can to try to take away our rights. I understand that most high fence areas cover hundreds if not thousands of acres, and the deer are wild and roam around freely, but they can only go so far. It is easy to see why the public perception is that a hunter can walk around inside a fenced in area and shoot a monster buck at will. I watched a show on TV the other day where a hunter (dressed to the hilt in camo, face painted, and with muzzleloader in hand) and his guide (blue jeans, white cowboy hat, and T-shirt) "stalked" across an open field to within 75 yards of a huge feeding elk before standing up and dropping him in his tracks. The elk was looking at them the whole time as if to say "What kind of food are you bringing me today?". You and I know that this is not "the real world", but I'm sure that "hunter" paid big bucks for that trophy. And yes, there was a high fence in the background.

On the issue of high fence hunting and the comparison to poaching, a person actually pays to hunt game legally and is not breaking any laws. A poacher is not a true hunter, but he is a criminal breaking laws that hopefully will put him in jail. But they both contribute to the fuel for the anti's and their cause.

When we say 100% Wild and 100% Fair Chase, why don't we True Hunters ensure that it is. My suggestion to the High Rolling-High Fence-Trophy Hunters is to take your big bucks and hire a good ol' country boy to TEACH you how to hunt and then go out and get you one on your own. You can save lots of money....and probably have alot better time. Or pay a good guide to take you out on a truly free range hunt. Either way, at least you can think you are earning your trophy. For the poachers out there, I hope you get caught and I'll vote for any one who will pass laws to keep you in jail.

Oh yea, that lottery thing, wouldn't change me a bit. I know success can be bought, but true success is in the eye of the beholder. :flag:

flat foot

High fence hunting is still high fence hunting. If it aint fair chace then it is not hunting its killing. I kinda feel the same way about baiting. You are not hunting the animals in there free range enviroment you are hunting them in a large zoo. Why not tear the fences down and just hunt them. It will teach you to be a better hunter.

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ive never hunted a high fence before. do they taste good? and how do you go about field dressing a high fence? :bounce: ::gone:

H

HT2

I ain't touchin' this one...........

This is right up thar with crossbow's and baitin'.......... ::ke: ::ke: ::ke: ::ke:

leadoff

GONetwork Member
What this thread needs is a good ol' fashioned poll. :bounce:

:rofl:

ryanwhit

Lthomas said:
High fencing is a very dangerous sport. Most fencing teams do it on the gymnasium floor. Doing it from up high is an accident waiting to happen. Someone could fall and get hurt.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Like HT2, I ain't talkin about it now!!! maybe later (February).

dbodkin

Every birthday it just keeps getting harder for me to jump over them high fences. Now at 55 I can barely make a 3 footer.... :hair: :pop: :pop: :pop:

C

Cward

dbodkin said:
Every birthday it just keeps getting harder for me to jump over them high fences. Now at 55 I can barely make a 3 footer.... :hair: :pop: :pop: :pop:
That's funny right thar!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: