Whats Gonna Work Best

taylornelms

GONetwork Member
i have a limited amount of space at my house to hunt. I live in coweta county and have 12 huntable acres. Last year was my first year hunting and took a doe. I planted a food plat for the first time last year and killed my doe while she was eatin over it. The seed was bio logic somethin or other. I reallly want to expand my plot becusae towards the end of the year it got really bad. I dotn think it was from deer eating it i think it was more from lack of sunlight. I am goin to solve that. Im goin to cut out a few trees and make the plot a little larger. itll be maybe half and acre all together. i have been sold on small plots in the woods over huge plots in the middle of fields from my experience this year. Anyway if anyone could give me some advice on what to plant that will be hearty and extremely leafy that would be great. Again thanks for any advice.

Tom Borck

Banned
Really depends on the equipment you have. Try a Pennington Spring mix, I have had good luck with this seed. Or buy some Iron clay peas, soybeans, sunflowers and buckwheat (if you can find it) mix together and plant.

This will probably be eaten by the end of the summer, if not harrow a few rows between the sring food plot and plant some wheat, rye, and oats.

This is by far the easiest.

Many people on Woodys like to plant clover, rape, etc... They can tell you more.

Good Luck!

gadeerwoman

For fall it is gonna be hard to beat a mix of brassicas (purple top turnips, swiss chard, kale, mustard, dwarf essex rape) with some clovers and maybe a peas or wheat as a quick draw. With a small plot you are gonna need something other than just brassicas or once frost hits it you're gonna have bare ground. Everything except the peas can be done with notill if you can't plow. Just get rid of existing vegetative cover by mowing to the ground and raking, burning, or just raking leaves off. As long as the seeds touch the ground and you seed just before a rain it will come up. I had a big plot of brassicas uncluding turnips this year that had turnips on top of the soil. There isn't even 1 tiny turnip left now. Tracks everywhere.