What to do ?

lildorris00

This may not be the right forum for this question but going to give it a shot anyway. We bought a tract of land (appx 100 acres) this past year. We've got 3 well established plots. I had timber cut off the property in October (appx 15 acres) spread out over the tract of land. Most areas where the timber was harvested range from 2-3 acres, with some being only thinned to about 50% due to erosion requirements of streams & Etc.

I will expand 2 of the 3 food plots this year due to the timber harvest but there are several 2-3 acre sections where I do not plan to plant food plots. The main reason is that I won't have the capacity to handle additional plots right now but another reason is that the land is now lacking thick cover.

What would you do with these 2-3 acre areas that will now be cleared? MOst are in close proximity to food plots. I was thinking about allowing it to grow back in thick cover over the next few seasons. Would you plant them in some type of natural grass/vegetation or let it grow back natural? I also have thought about planting standing corn for added thickets and draw the deer in during the season but am open to any ideas. I love hunting in grown over fields/thickets.

mattb78

Just let it grow back natural but not any thicker than a brush hog could handle so you could convert them right back to food plots when you are ready for the extra acreage. Periodic burning would be great if you think you can handle that and then you just control the cover by your burn interval. Just don't let it get away.

I wouldn't spend any time "creating thick cover". The thinned timber will likely thicken up very quickly and you can always hinge cut or hack/squirt in select areas.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’d let it grow as suggested, and burn or cut before it gets to mature. You could also checkerboard burn the new areas. 1 this year, another next year. Deer absolutely love thick cover with new growth.