Electric Fence Question...

davel

What I did was put 3 bags on a half acre which would be about 132 pounds. I’m not sure if there is any info that says per acre amount.. I would put at least that. So if your doing an acre that would be about 260 or so… you don’t have to put it down at time of planting. So along as you have it down right as they start to pop outta the ground…
I just watched the rain and if it came. Real hard gully washers I would go out after and reapply. For me I only did it twice . The beans got up to normal height and most all had beans on them. Once the stink wore off they came back in and started eating. Until that happened that would touch it
Will it keep the hogs away too?

Will it keep the hogs away too?
That I’m not sure about. I haven’t used it anywhere there has been hogs.. maybe some these other guys may can answer that. If you have hogs now try pouring some corn out on the ground and get them coming. Use a camera then throw some around the corn and on it and see if they still come after you spread it. You would know before you get set on using this again

davel

That I’m not sure about. I haven’t used it anywhere there has been hogs.. maybe some these other guys may can answer that. If you have hogs now try pouring some corn out on the ground and get them coming. Use a camera then throw some around the corn and on it and see if they still come after you spread it. You would know before you get set on using this again
We shoot them as much as possible. We have a spot we bait so we could try that there. Thanks.

davel

Ok, I'm an overthinker so here goes...
Is a deer smart enough that I could just electrify the first strand of poly tape and then run 2 strands of similar white tape (non electrified) behind it? Would they assume after getting shocked with the first white tape the others would do the same?

oochee hunter

A few insulators and step in's and you can fire up all of the strands. Make sure you ground the fence charger well, usually at least 3 ground rods 10 ft apart. Sandy soil may require 5.

davidhelmly

Ok, I'm an overthinker so here goes...
Is a deer smart enough that I could just electrify the first strand of poly tape and then run 2 strands of similar white tape (non electrified) behind it? Would they assume after getting shocked with the first white tape the others would do the same?
It’s possible but why would you take the chance, electrifying all 3 strands takes maybe 1 minute longer than electrifying just 1?

davel

It’s possible but why would you take the chance, electrifying all 3 strands takes maybe 1 minute longer than electrifying just 1?
I wasn't going to use actual poly tape on the inside run. Just white ribbon. Not saying I want to chance it just wondering if it would work. Do they actually jump the first wire? I thought the idea was it messes with their depth perception so they don't try to jump it. Especially after getting shocked.

davidhelmly

I wasn't going to use actual poly tape on the inside run. Just white ribbon. Not saying I want to chance it just wondering if it would work. Do they actually jump the first wire? I thought the idea was it messes with their depth perception so they don't try to jump it. Especially after getting shocked.
You’re right about depth perception and most won’t try it but deer are like people, some aren’t very smart and are very stubborn. Also, if a deer or multiple ever figure out that can jump it, you will never keep them out.
If you have a high deer population they can wipe out 2 acres in no time if they do get in.

B. White

A garden is the only thing I have fenced in, but have pretty good luck keeping them away since I put it up. I went against youtube and what everyone says and put up 3 strands of 17g aluminum. Knee high, rear high and shoulder high. Wood post on corners and sharp bends and t posts between. T posts are 35-40 ft apart. About every three months one will get in and break one strand trying to get out. I just twist it back together (not stretched very tight) and have rarely had to replace a piece. I did not use solar, due to get the same joule rating at the time it would have been more expensive than it was worth compared to 110v, and I could run underground 30 yds from an outlet at the location. Very effective so far after about 3-4 years. No evidence of any jumping over it. I'll see a few feed right up to the edge, but they know where to stop. When they break it I think it is when being chased based on tracks. It is pretty easy to maintain. Gate handles added to hook to the post where I get the tractor in and out. Takes about 3 mins to unhook and walk the wires out of the way.

Jim Boyd

I am interested in the solution.

Time for me to invest also.

davel

Has anyone tried the Plotsaver? Wondering how that compares to milorganite effectiveness.

This was my 1st summer plot, usually had winter plots here but I used Milorganite once during the planting process and once right before I put up a 2 wire electric fence after it started sprouting and stayed for at least 6-7 weeks. only had 2 times that deer came into the plot before the fence went up and they stayed for less than 5 minutes. Don't know if it was the Milorganite or the deer wasn't accustomed to the summer plot but took them a while after the fence came down to start going into it.

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    685 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    782.6 KB · Views: 14

kayaksteve

I’ve had good luck in the garden with 2 strands. One about a foot high and one about waist high. We didn’t get enough sun to keep the solar charged fully but, the 120v charger has done good. Experimenting now with a fenced feeder to keep out bears. I’ve wanted to try fencing a plot but don’t have any power access near any plots.