Throw and mow question.

dacker

Hello everyone I have a specific throw and mow question. I'm gonna try this method this year on a power line in Demopolis Al. The area I'm planting is 75 yards wide and a little over 400 yards long. I've planted it for 3 years now using the traditional plowing method. Soil samples are good and very little is recommended from what I sent them. All that being said my only concern is this summer I planted sun hemp as a cover crop (pictured). It is around 5' tall now. Am I better of spraying and killing it then throwing seed and mowing or should I go trim it in the next week or 2 down to 2' or so then go throw and mow mid/late September or what would be y'all's plan of attack? Thanks in advance for your input. Dale

Attachments

• 120326.jpeg
    120326.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 40

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Seed to soil contact is what you need. Seed sitting up on top of residue may germinate, but won't grow. You will have a lot of residue there.

So, I'd bush hog it right now and let the summer heat and bacteria, work on it, so that you get to see some dirt. Depending on what you have in 45 - 60 days, you could broadcast your seed and bush hog again or you may have to spray and lightly till the seed in.

CNC wrote the book on this planting method (Crimson n Clover). You might find a few more tips in here.