Small Acreage Quail Improvement

B. White

There may not be many folks on here with experience to answer my specific questions, since there isn't a lot of wild quail now, but figure somebody may have worked on some land managed for them now or in the past.

I have a few acres in what used to be a pasture, but had been neglected for many years. I saw my first quail last fall when mowing. I've been mowing in early May, August and around the first of October since I moved here in the spring of 2021, instead of trying to keep it manicured. I've over seeded crimson clover after the last mowing each year. I went down Saturday to take a look and flushed a few and have been hearing them every morning, so they made it through the winter and are hanging around.

I have to spray triclopyr at least once a year due to thistle, and one side with wisteria. I tried just hitting the wisteria and the thistle about took over in one season. This limits what I might can do that requires full sun, but I'm going to throw some beggerweed seed out in a few spots.

1) Are there any other perennials I can try around edges that handle shade?
2) I can leave some narrow strips when I mow. I'd prefer to leave strips in the fall mowing, but would leaving them earlier be better?
3) Any other ideas without plowing (pretty hilly, will wash bad), or since they showed up and are hanging around should I just keep doing what I already have.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I can’t help with any plant info. I do know that some plantations do rotational burns to keep the native plants in different growth stages. Split the land in thirds and burn a 1/3 every year. May not work with your clover though. May be best to keep doing what you’re doing since it’s working. Hope whatever you do works, I miss hearing and seeing quail.

Long Cut

I’d reach out to Quail Forever or Pheasants Forever, along with GA DNR Biologists for more detail specific questions.

We’ve had good success maintaining our quail population by breaking our farm up into smaller burn blocks, like Fireman mentioned above. Whether that’s 5-10-25-50 acre blocks, habitat diversity is king for Quail.

I wouldn’t burn all your acreage at once. I’d burn 25-50% every year and burn on a 1-2 year rotation for most upland sites. 2-4 year rotation on hardwood sites, unless you’re trying to reduce the mid-story competition.

Hope this helps and good luck on your ventures.
I do love hearing that bobwhite whistle on a crisp, calm morning.

Duckdiver

I'd definitely leave strips during nesting season. Quail and turkeys love fence rows.