food plot recommendations

Good morning everyone,

I am looking for some recommendations on what do you all believe would be the best mix/ seed rate for the food plots that I am trying to create. I am located in central Georgia near crawford county. I have two plots one .5 acre and another around .3 acre, both located in close proximity to a creek. Did soil test on the .5 and it came back with 6 ph , P 4lb/acre , K 31lb/acre and calcium 1244lb/acre. I am looking for recommendations for what would be the best combination of seeds to plant here. The smaller plot has a ph of 5.5 with similar stats as the .5 acre plot. thanks for yalls help! The plots will flood about every other year also

Last edited:
yea I've looked at the perennial ideas. but these plots will flood about every other year so that's the only thing that kept me away from that. I'm thinking about putting them in on other parts of the property. Thanks for the reply

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I'm a big clover(s) fan too, but here are a few other things for consideration.

Attachments

• Cool season seed.JPG
    Cool season seed.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 48

SRShunter

I personally like tractor time and enjoy tearing up the ground every fall...plus I've never had luck with perennial clover. Much is my neglect to not adding lime like I should. I have been planting oats and winter wheat. Oats being the most, then after they're planted I overseed crimson and some medium red clover. Normally plant middle of September and that's due to we hardly get any rain in October. Good luck whichever route you go. I hope one day to have a perennial clover plot.

Big7

The Oracle
In plots that small I'd be looking hard at Sorghum.

It puts out a lot of browse and if it makes it to heading out, there will be a LOT of grain for the deer to feast on.

And... It's pretty much maintenance free and you don't need much equipment.

Ihunt

Medium red clover and some oats.

Could substitute the oats with some awnless wheat.

TheWildLife

For the last few years I've been using Davis Seed Company 5 way for a .75 acre plot in Monroe county. It contains oats, rye, wheat, trophy rape, and Dixie crimson clover. Sometimes I'll add an additional 3 way blend of oats, rye, and wheat to ensure complete coverage.

mattb78

Because you don't have much acreage to plant you want the highest yield possible. Cereal rye and crimson clover is your best bet. You could get fancy with oats but you are just trying to keep the deer from wiping it out and maintain its attractiveness. Rye is the most graze tolerant grain.

I wouldn't do a warm season plot. It isn't enough acreage to really effect nutrition. A well-timed cool season plot will get the result you are looking for IMO.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
In plots that small I'd be looking hard at Sorghum.

It puts out a lot of browse and if it makes it to heading out, there will be a LOT of grain for the deer to feast on.

And... It's pretty much maintenance free and you don't need much equipment.
I’ve planted sorghum for several years and to my knowledge it’s useless , unless it makes a seed head . I’ve never seen the deer eat the foliage. But it is easy to grow and they love the heads .

Long Cut

Any suggested seed blends that you guys like over others?

We planted a ton of this at our club and it’s done very very well. We planted oats and rye with it as well.

I’d recommend this blend if you don’t want to bother mixing seed.
I’m sure there’s other blends, but I normally mix my own.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have had good luck with the Pennington Rackmaster Deluxe Fall Deer Mixture. Wheat, cereal rye, oats, crimson clover, rape, and winter peas. I use 50 lbs per 1/4 acre.

Ajohnson0587

I bow hunt small neighborhood tracks, so I plant sunflower in spring (eye appealing), then I mow 4' wide strips and plant sorghum mid to late July. In late September/early October I will mow the sunflower and plant a winter mix, I will over seed it again with heavy clover in early November. Sorghum heads out and is fully consumed by mid-December. I leave the sorghum standing through the rest of the season as it offers the deer some seclusion/security. This is what I have been doing the last 2 seasons and I see 3x more deer in the plots, and they come out to feed sooner, offering more daylight to shoot.

Also, flooding is only an issue on 1 property that backs up to the south river, thankfully it drains quickly, it does make for a muddy/slippery mess for a few weeks.

Last edited:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Dang Durana! Just can't get rid of it!!!!! Iwas walking around a little this weekend and came across an old plot we had, but hadn't done anything (and I mean anything) with it for at least 5 years. Still there and feeding deer:)

Attachments

• Durana on 57.jpg
    Durana on 57.jpg
    753 KB · Views: 16
  • Durana on 57-1.jpg
    Durana on 57-1.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 16

Glynr

All mentioned above abbruzi mixed in also can't go wrong. Many years Co op guy always told me spend more on fertilizer and less on seed. Try it you fertilize anything they will eat it. If I fertilize trees they will damage them flowers whatever.