Bow season plot recommendations?

Buck Dropper

Looking for some recommendations for an evening food source for the first couple weeks of bow season.

1/4 acre plot, typically go in at the end of September and plant wheat or oats & forage rape. I’m looking to plant something in the next couple of weeks that I can hunt the first few weeks of September for the bow opener & then wipe it out and plant a cool season plot around October 1.

I am targeting the biggest buck I’ve ever had on our property & trying to maximize my chances.

Thanks in advance

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I get black eye peas from the grocery store. Dried ones. Well all the peas dried work there. Could put some oats or wheat with it. Anything green til u plant later. Soybean. Plant real thick. May have to plant twice. Like a week before it opens and now.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve got a spot I’m about to plant iron clay peas . I’m gonna try the plot saver system to see if I can get some growth on them and maybe take it down a week before bow season

Jim Boyd

Looking for some recommendations for an evening food source for the first couple weeks of bow season.

1/4 acre plot, typically go in at the end of September and plant wheat or oats & forage rape. I’m looking to plant something in the next couple of weeks that I can hunt the first few weeks of September for the bow opener & then wipe it out and plant a cool season plot around October 1.

I am targeting the biggest buck I’ve ever had on our property & trying to maximize my chances.

Thanks in advance

I think anything like peas, beans, sunflowers etc.

1/4 acre may get wiped out if you have a good many deer in the area.

I got pounded by turkeys this year also, eating the seeds before they sprouted.

Good luck with the plot and the buck!!!!!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Whatever bean or pea you plant, plant lots in that 1/4 acre. If it makes leaves, you can always just broadcast your wheat, rape and clovers over top, but before the leaves drop. First real hard freeze and it will kill off your beans/peas and your wheat, rape and clovers will come thru.

You won't have to work up your soil that way and always have some food on the table.

mattb78

I would suggest a quick bolting warm season plot if you are putting it in the ground in August. If you can find a bag of buckwheat that would have more graze tolerance than beans. I worry that a 1/4 acre of young beans could get overgrazed in just a few nights by a doe family group and there goes your plot.

Jim Boyd

12 Lbs Pinto beans at Sams are 9.50 so it's pretty much a wash.
Careful….

Are germination rates the same

Is the seed count per lb the same

Just factors to consider.

ICP is high rate of seeds per lb.

Have not tried dry peas from grocery store but have tried sunflowers that were sold as bird seed and they did not work well.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
.... and check germination