Cutting big pine trees

ventilator

Back in January I rented a forestry mulcher on a Kubota skid steer. Cleared all the saplings and underbrush for 1.25 acre section that joined my 1/2 acre food plot. Right now all the debris is still lying on the ground decaying. Whats left are the big trees i could not cut with the mulcher. About 8 large diameter pine trees and probably 10 medium size oaks, red and white. I dont plan to cut the oaks. Should i consider dropping the big pines? They would fall in the center. My plan is to plant the perimeter in clover and overseed for next fall season. The 1/2 plot has established durana now and Buck forage oats overseeded. Its doing great. If i drop the pines, should i leave them laying for additional concealment cover, or should i pile up and burn? I can see over them from my stand if i leave them for concealment. I dont really plan to clean up and plant the entire 1.25 acres in the future. I just wanted it cleared out for more visibility and to plant the perimeter up to the main plot. WHat do yall recommend?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I would think that within about 5 years it's going to be so thick in there you won't be able to see over anything unless you keep it cleared.
2 cents...

ventilator

I would think that within about 5 years it's going to be so thick in there you won't be able to see over anything unless you keep it cleared.
2 cents...
I will keep it bush hogged down for sure for visibility. I am specifically asking if anyone thinks its a good idea to cut the big pines, leave them or whether to clean them up after cutting them down.

ventilator

I would leave them if they're healthy.
But now I like large old growth pines.
How are these beneficial to deer hunting property? I understand thick young pine thickets for bedding. These 8 trees are just 40-50 year old yellow pines scattered about.

They don’t provide any benefit to deer when they’re large. Unless you just want to do a lot of work and clean up I would leave them they aren’t hurting anything. Only down side is if it’s blocking the ground from getting sunlight to grow valuable food or cover. Also if the pines are big enough they could damage the other hardwood or smaller trees you want to keep.. it’s really up to you not us. We don’t know your property goals and have no pictures. Me personally unless I needed the canopy to be opened up where I could plant food plots I would leave them be no reason to cut em just because they’re a pine. that’s a lot of work and debris that has to go somewhere and you will be left with large stumps and roots ..

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
If they’re crowding your oaks, cut them. If they’re blocking sun, cut them. If you need a tree to put a stand on, consider leaving one or two.
You’ve got 18 large trees on a 1.25 acres which doesn’t seem like many, but a grown oak has a considerable crown. Crown will shade out a food plot. Personally, You could double girdle the pines and let them rot while standing.

ucfireman

If you are going to cut them I say wait till maybe april, The does will use the tops to hide their fawns in.
I cut a few trees here and there for fawn cover.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Prudence is key when deciding to cut trees.Once you cut them only way to get one back is to plant 1 back.
Do you have many pines not in the food plot?.
If it were mine I would cut the pines,replant with some soft mast trees....
Persimmon,pears etc.....

mattb78

I would absolutely drop the pines as long as I had some way to pull them off of the plot. Its not that big of a plot where you would have to break it up to make the deer feel safe. The pines are doing nothing for your wildlife.