10 acres Timber

Lshaw97

I have 12 acres in Crawford that we just built a house on. I have a solid 10 acres of mixed hardwoods, that I believe are probably atleast 50 years old. It was a field before that. A lot of pine and hardwoods you cant get your arms around. I’d like to cut every pine and leave a few good oaks.

Would it be worth anything for timber? Who would I talk to, to find out?

I am not sure where I would take it after that. Maybe plant more pine. Maybe plant some wildlife trees and keep it like a savannah.

transfixer

Post this in the Oglethorpe county thread in the hunting reports section at the bottom of the main page, some of those guys that live around that area may know someone ?

Dean

Would suggest contacting a your 'local' GA Forester first...have him/her come out, sight visit (free) and write you a timber report...odds are they will recommend thinning to 50 BA-60 BA...and they typically have a list of Timber buyers that service your area. But I would be 100% that any logger that came on to property understands your objectives ...as far as "worth" that of course is going to depend on the type/condition of pine (pulp, chip saw etc etc), how much tonnage....Impossible to say without cruising timber, but you likely will come out on the positive ...even after expenses for gravel etc if required for access. The major challenge is likely finding a crew that will move in for such small acreage... but anyway, my first call would be to your local GA Forester...