Caterpillar Turkey

BOWKILL

I'll try to make a long story short...Eddie Walden (Walden's Outdoors Augusta GA) and I headed down to his property outside Waynesboro...the boys got some turkey's now.
We set up on a bird who was not afraid to gobble. I wait for him to hit the ground and gave him the deadly sequence.
This turkey came runnin'! and he ran...and ran...and ran....he couldn't decide if he wanted to strut or run so he utilized the ole strutnrun technique that enabled him to cover ground while still showing off. He even through in a couple out of breath gobbles as he ran. Anyway..back to the running....so he ran...and ran...closing the distance but staying in the field just out of gun range...and he ran right by us and into the woods 100 yards down the field. This is all on film btw.
So I turned to Eddie and said.."This turkey is disturbed Eddie, let's try to call him back"
So we repositioned on the other side of the trees and I cut hard at him and he ripped off a gobble.
and here he comes runnin! and runnin...and runnin...and again runs right past us just out of gun range. I swear that turkey covered 300 yards on a dead sprint coming in...and ran another 300 yards coming back the other way and dissappeared back into his roost trees! I think he was wearing one of those pointed party hats but I can't be sure.
I told Eddie "this bird must have eatin some bad caterpillars, let's get out of here before he hurts somebody".
We ended up killing that bird around 9:30am, on film.
We called him Bruce Willis....Die Hard.

Attachments

• DSCN0302.JPG
    DSCN0302.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 228

Handgunner

I bet that was interesting to watch. Glad ya finally got him!

dutchman

Great story! Very entertaining hunt, or so it sounds! Congratulations!:clap: