.45 VS .50 Muzzleloader

GobbleAndGrunt78

OK guys, I'll be buying me an inline M/L soon. I've shot a few and took my big buck last year w/ my buddy's .50 CVA. I'm leaning towards getting a .45 caliber. I'd assume it shoots flatter/farther than a .50 and still has plenty of knockdown power. Anyone notice any advantages or disadvantages between .45 and .50?

Parker Phoenix

I prefer the .50 because I like to have to get closer to the prey I'm hunting, plus the .50 throws a bigger chunk of lead.

scambooger

50 cal

i hunt with a .45 now but in the last 26 years i've shot deer with .45,.50,.54, and .58:shoot: mostly .50 and seems like there is more call for 50 cal stuff.

Marlin_444

Hey All:

I have shot both .45's and .50's, had a .50 first - It took deer well but went back to 50's since I wanted a bigger chunk-o-lead for Bear.

Just my .02 cents...

Have a Good One!

seaweaver

Mines a .50 but I shoot the .45 sabots out of it. I'm gonna try some of the .50 power belts as my dad cleaned out Walmart of all their powder and ammo after shooting it last season and gave it to me!
Thanks Dad!

cw

PS
I never really thought about it, but if you can sabot the .50 down to the .45, can you sabot the .45 down to a .40?or some variation.

NOYDB

BANNED
I never really thought about it, but if you can sabot the .50 down to the .45, can you sabot the .45 down to a .40?or some variation.

Yes, they are available. Also keep in mind that not all .50 sabots are the same size. They allow you to use many different caliber bullets.

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
I shoot a 45 CVA-Kodiak,, does real well. I also got the Harvester plastic sabots in 45,, they take a .400 pistol bullet etc..
Powerbelt 275hp is my round of chice for deer with this 45.

Retired Army Guy

I shoot a 45 and love it. It is a little harder to find bullets though. It shoots flatter than most 50's but does not have the foot pounds of a 50. You can some what fix this by shooting the Barnes all copper bullets. They have great expansion and near zero weight loss retention. In other words they open up and penetrate! I probably would not shoot a 45 with out the Barnes copper bullets they are what truly make it a long range muzzle loader. Lead bullets at longer ranges with 45 are just not going to have the horse power behind them to perform correctly.

snuffy

I think 45 is going the wrong way.I have 2 54 cal.
Getting harder to find bullets for though.
I agree with Retired Army Guy on the Barnes bullets, but they are hard to load in my guns.