Big ole worm

contender*

Whatizit????? Daughter found this thing on a dogwood. Sucker has horns and apparently can sting thru it's "hairs".
Thought it was sorta neat lookin anyway.:bounce:

11749015.JPG

Last edited:

rip18

It is one of the "big" moth caterpillars. It resembles a Pandora Sphinx moth caterpillar, but is unusually hairy.

Hope somebody can definitely ID it...

doates

Im not sure if that's the one, but my buddy does surveying and was stung by a caterpillar. They had to carry him out of the woods and to the hospital.

rip18

Looks like SWbowhunter nailed it!

Imperial moth caterpillar it is!

I didn't even consider color phases.:banginghe:banginghe

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Also known as a "Hickory Horned Devil", they look mean but won't sting or bite. My nephew found one a couple of years ago out in the yard. The one that stings and hurts like all get out is a saddleback caterpillar and I believe the worst of them all around here is called a grey flannel worm or something like that.

Rick_1971

Saddleback

My dad got tore up by a saddleback a couple of years back. He was sitting under a tree and felt it on back of his neck. It messed up his neck and his fingers from when he brushed it off.
Rick

FishFanatic

My dad got tore up by a saddleback a couple of years back. He was sitting under a tree and felt it on back of his neck. It messed up his neck and his fingers from when he brushed it off.
Rick

I got lit up by a saddleback this summer. It wasn't too bad. More of an irritating sting and left a slight raised rash on my shoulder for a few hours.

contender*

Sorry hunt101 went down, I fixed it though.
BTW this thing did sting. My dog stuck his nose to it and I thought he was gonna jump out of his hide. Sneezed for a good 10 minutes too. Felt sorry for him but it was sorta funny!!

knifemaker

Sorry hunt101 went down, I fixed it though.
BTW this thing did sting. My dog stuck his nose to it and I thought he was gonna jump out of his hide. Sneezed for a good 10 minutes too. Felt sorry for him but it was sorta funny!!

Them beagles live and die by their nose.