338 Federal??

willec

I've been reading some about the round and I'm considering one also. It is a 308 casing necked up to 38cal. The ammo ranges from 180 to 220g bullets. The recoil is more than a 308 but less than a 300 or 338 mag. It is more than enough for ga deer. There are only a few companies making rifles, Saka is one of them. You can get a TC barrel in 338 Fed. I've looked around in several gun shops in my area and no one is carrying the ammo yet.

ejs1980

Haven't shot one but think if it hangs around a while I'll have to get one. Be a great round for a custom 7600 remington or BLR. Right now I think the best rifle for the buck would be the tikka. Basically a sako action and every one i've shot has impressed me.

Dub

Never underestimate the power of a big chunk of lead!!!!!

Interesting round.

OkieHunter

My self I think its another one of those calibers that someone just wanted thier name on and no one really asked for.

DURAMAXLT

I have one for my encore the 180 nosler accubonds shoot under an inch the 185 barnes are around 1.5" I've been pretty impressed with accuracy so far I believe handloads will be very impressive as far as someone asking for this round I believe it will be perfect for deer in ga. most being taken within 200 yards anyway

G Duck

Reason that I asked, I horse traded guns with a buddy, and ended up with a Kimber rifle in 338 Fed. I must say that I am impressed with the accuracy of the gun and the round. It may be overkill, for deer around here, but I will have a gun that I can use if I ever head west. Duramax... where did you find the accubonds, are they factory, or handloads?

willec

I just purchased a new Barrel in 338 federal for my TC. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Does any one know where I can get factory ammo around metro atl. I've looked at 4 gun shops and no one has it?

MKW

I just purchased a new Barrel in 338 federal for my TC. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Does any one know where I can get factory ammo around metro atl. I've looked at 4 gun shops and no one has it?

When you get around to shooting it, please let us know how it does. I'm really interested in the recoil that it has out of an Encore. Thanks
Mike

MKW

sorry

OK...I didn't read the other posts very carefully...so hows that recoil???

Mike

willec

I'm thinking it should be just a little stronger than my 308 barrel now. I've also got a TC barrel in 7mm Mag and it has some kick to it. I shot it several times sighting it in last year and i could tell it the next day. This year I finished a new Boyds stock and forearm for my TC to help with the recoil. As for the Ammo I can stop by Academy in Athens this weekend.

G Duck

I have the Kimber 84m, which is very light, the recoil is to me is not much more than a .270 . I shot an 8 point with it this week, was pleased with the results. Exit hole looked like the size of a silver dollar. He ran about 50 yards, was dead and didnt know it. I found some 180 grain Fed. Accubonds today, gonna try them at the range.

Eroc33

i know a guy with a tikka lite in the 338 fed and he says the recoil is very strong. but i amagine it would be in such a light gun.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
I'm interested in the 338 also - and just a note as far as recoil is concerned I have found the Pro-Hunter stock works best as compared to the stock TC wood,composite, and Boyds laminated (simms pad on each), I tried them all with my 300 Win Magnum SS encore and with the 450 Marlin 18" ported encore using a Caldwell Lead Sled--the only set up that didn't move the sled to the rear was the Pro-Hunter just a FYI eddy

G Duck

I tried my high dollar federal premium Accubonds in the Kimber, they did not do as well as the Fusion ammo. Gonna stick with Fusions till the end of the season at least.

willec

Well I finally got the the 338 fed barrel set up on the TC and took it to the range last night for a few shots. I really think I'm going to like this set up. I shot it 7 or 8 times sighting in the scope and I can tell you the recoil compaired to my 7mm mag barrel is not even close. The 338 fed was just a little more than my 308 barrel. I think the longer Pro Hunter fluted barrel and the new Boyds stock I added this year may account for the lighter recoil. Now it's time to take it to the woods and see how it works on a deer. Happy hunting guys