Hunting laws. Are you a 'letter' or 'spirit' guy?

How do you follow game laws

• I follow the letter and the intent of the law.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I follow the letter and will disregard the intent.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I follow the intent but may occassionally break the letter.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I just do the minimum to keep from getting cited.

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters

GeauxLSU

Mac's thread http://www.woodystaxidermy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494&page=1&pp=10 on using naturally occuring mast to bait got me to thinking.
Some game laws can certainly be complex and confusing. But, by and large it is clear, at least to me, what the INTENT of the law is, regardless of the text. So, given that, do you follow just the letter of the law and perhaps look for ways AROUND it, or do you follow the SPIRIT of the law?
I'll let others give examples assumig you guys follow what I'm talking about (baiting probably most obvious).
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Anyone who has hunted with me will tell you I follow the laws closely. Too much at stake to do the wrong thing and way to easy to do the right.

Jim

Randy

I don't like some of them and I don't even agree with some of them but I follow them to the letter.

GeauxLSU

Ok, considering the the responses to the poll so far, and I sure hope it's accurate but I want to make sure everyone understands. I was hoping others would list examples but here goes.
Following the 'letter' is obvious. You simply do exactly what the law says, no more no less. Following the intent is something entirely different.
What is the 'intent' of baiting laws? Do you put out bait 210 yards and just out of sight? (It's legal)
What is the 'intent' of limits? Do you 'combine limits' when you are dove or duck hunting or fishing? (It's been debated on here that that is legal.)
What is the 'intent' of the 'no hunting from vehicles' law? Would you jump out of your truck and quickly draw down on a fleeing big buck you jumped that is running across a pasture? (I suppose it could be argued that is legal.)
What is the 'intent' of the 'electronic communications' law? Would you radio your bud on the way out of your stand, to let him know you were moving, but then also mention if you saw a big boy headed his way that you just jumped?
What is the 'intent' of the hunter orange law? Do you try and hide it while in the stand or even while walking? (The 'letter' just says you must wear it as an outer garmet above the waist. Doesn't say you can't ball it up behind your back once you're sitting in the tree.)
I'm sure there are countless other exapmles but hopefully you get what I'm after.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Handgunner

Good poll, Phil...

If there is one law I may be quilty of flirting with it's the "30 minutes before sunrise, after sunset rule".

If I can see the deer with my naked eyes, and clearly though my scope, I take it. I hunt primarily fields, so even after sunset, I can still see pretty well. I don't check what time sunset is, and then plan my exit time accordingly. I sit until I can't see well enough to properly identify my target.

Don't get me wrong, I don't go out with the intention of "sitting all night" or "tonight is a full moon! oh boy!". But I sit until I can't see. If I can see the deer, again CLEARLY, not just a silhouette, I'll take it...

Y'all let me have it. :whip:

Slayer

I do what Randy tells me to do !!!!! only because I'm scared of him!!!

:shoot: :bounce: :eek:

GeauxLSU

Delton said:
But I sit until I can't see. If I can see the deer, again CLEARLY, not just a silhouette, I'll take it...
Delton, that's another good example. There, you follow the INTENT (safety) but may not be following the LETTER (depending on when you shoot obviously). I'm not going to let you have it. I want honest answers.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Handgunner

Honest answers are the only thing that will make or break this thread. :)

GeauxLSU

Stephen Wilbanks said:
I
No. It's also illegal to discharge a firearm within 50 yards of a public road. I think the intent of this is to discourage the exact situation you described, among other safety considerations.
True. But what I was imagining was jumping a deer on your hunting property (not a public road). Loggin road type scenario. You know, riding to the stand and even on your 4 wheeler perhaps?
Thanks for the input. There are no "hunting saints" here that I know of. But hopefully a lot of us are trying. ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Mac

Loop holes in law, ethics,

So many people look for the loop holes in the law, But that is the rules we play by. Just like any other game or sport. If it is legal why can't you do it?

Ethical ??????? Get real!!!!!!!!!!!

We all use the best equipment on the market and when a new toy comes out we get one. Tryiing to get the advange, against the wildlife.

We plant the best food plots money can buy. Why? To attract, hold and harvest deer. Cause that is legal. Ethical??? not really just legal bait!!!!!

Why get on a soap box about ethics in hunting, when in business it is exceptable to give and receive gifts, trips, outings, dinners, etc from a client or business. For what? to grease the wheels of prgress.

Yes it is unethical for me to reply to this post on company time.
How many of you guilty of that one?

Just do what your conscience will allow and don't condemn others that are playing by the rules we are given.

DEAN

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
"What is the 'intent' of baiting laws? Do you put out bait 210 yards and just out of sight? (It's legal)" to quote GeauxLSU

Phil,

Unfortuneatly, it WAS the 'intent' of those that created the "200 yard rule" that their friends be allowed to sit 210 yards away from a pile & shoot deer. ::huh:

GeauxLSU

Jeff Young said:
"Phil,
Unfortuneatly, it WAS the 'intent' of those that created the "200 yard rule" that their friends be allowed to sit 210 yards away from a pile & shoot deer. ::huh:
Jeff,
I know. :(
I'm trying to pretend it was slightly higher ground and the intent is simply to not shoot deer directly at or within a few feet away from a feed pile regardless of distance. I mean what's the difference if they are AT the pile or within 10 feet of the pile? ::huh:
Stop ruining my illusion.. :eek:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Guy

If it really IS out of sight and more than 200 yards I consider it fine. You may or may not be able to see the game if it is out of sight.

I think the intent of that law was you can't hunt directly over the bait. We place our feeders within the law, 200 and outta sight. We hope that we catch those deer moving to and from those feeders. Rarely do ever see or can see the animal at the feeder because they are out of sight.

Mac

You sure don't have a problem shooting them in a food plot

What is the difference? except that is legal

So is a feeder 210 yards and out of sight of your stand.

Yes I have a feeder about 230 yards out of sight of my stand, which is surrounded by about 5 ac. of foodplots.

Will I feel "unethical" about shooting a deer out of this stand.
No, especial since I only have taken one doe in the last two years.
Could have taken a limit last year.

Oh ya. I for got to mention that the adjoining property owners hunt over piles of corn all season. If you don't fight fire with fire, you surely lose.

Last edited:

spongebob

What would we do without the government?

I don't like them, but I follow them. I hunt for food, not trophies, trophies are just a great by-product. The government gets in the way of my food. Now before all of you talk about the waste that comes without law, (the great buffalo slaughters, etc.)...I am part Indian and only take what I can use and I use all that I take (down to wingbone calls and beak soup!) :D

Given the vagueness of some of our game laws, I believe the best anyone can do is to follow them in spirit. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the letter of the law is not defined in some of our game laws as it should be. For example, the law regarding electronic communications devices.

Toliver

I've seen judges in court rooms rule on the "spirit" of the law and not the letter of the law but judges are a whole other story......

I've hunted in my truck sitting on a hill overlooking a hardwood ridge. I stayed warm and listened to the radio. (I was in the middle of my club so no "public" places come into play here) I wasn't using the truck to chase, heck, the engine wasn't even running. So would a hard nosed game warden cite me from hunting from a vehicle? I don't think it qualifies as illegal or unethical but others may disagree.

It all boils down to how the lawman interprets the law and whether HE goes by letter or spirit.

sr.corndog

Hunting laws

Sorry it is hard to say I haven't stretched the law a little especially in the evenings when it is getting dark! ::huh:

Timberman

vehicles and hunting

Hypothetically speaking, let's say a fellow can observe a 6 acre field that is exactly 310 yards long while sitting in his truck completely concealed. He sits there sometimes at lunch and sometimes when he only has 15 or 20 minutes to hunt in the evening. Is that enough to break out the ticket book? ::huh: