From Spook to his followers on his illegal 2007 Kansas buck on Facebook

stringmusic

by the way what was his fine....and how long did he lose his hunting rights?

http://blogs.kansas.com/outdoors/

-Paying $10,000 in fines for the crime.

– $10,000 in restitution for the value of the buck.

–Spann is also in three years federal supervised release.

– He has been ordered to “forfeit to the United States the antlers in question, the mold of the antlers and any exact reproduction of said antlers.”

– Spann also had his hunting privileges suspended for six months within the United States, and for an additional six months within the state of Kansas.

BIGHORN26

Judge not less yee be jugded.....thats what wrong with everything these days.... NOBODY on here knows what the truth is!

Burney Mac

Like I said before, it's a shame either way you look at it. Whether or not he knew better or if it truely was an honest mistake it stinks. Seems like nowadays when a big deer gets killed there are sometimes underlying stories that don't surface right away. We rant and rave, jump up and down and talk about how big "the" deer was. How we'd like to be so lucky to have a crack at an animal of that caliber. Then years later a story emerges and questions the manner in which the animal was taken. Then we jump up and down, rant and rave about how wrong and out of line someone is for making a mistake. Whether it be an "honest" mistake or not the hunter is then beat down by his peers. I think we would all like to know that if we were in there shoes and made a mistake like this we would be given the benefit of a doubt.

The fines seem a little steep to me, but that is me. I'm not a biologist, game warder, judge, or a member of government. So it's not up to me to set price tags on various violations. I can bet the one that hurt the most was the forfeiting of the antlers and any other molds or replications. I'm going to look at it like a good ole boy from tennessee got caught up in the moment. I'm not going to cast stones in a glass house. Heaven forbid any of us ever get tangled up in a mess on the wrong side of the law....

Onething is certain I live in a FREE country I am able to have opinions and Do and say as I darn well please. ... God bless America !!!

scott30415

I am not judging this guy and I have made mistakes also, but within 5 minutes I had the Kansas regulation downloaded and figured out what to purchase. They also have a neat online questionnaire that directs you to the license to purchase. I think he was just not paying attention, in a hurry caught in the moment etc. That is still no excuse the bible says give to Ceaser what is Ceasers and it also says to obey laws that in doing so you may win others.

Grey Man

Seems like an honest post from a dude who screwed up and is paying for it.

EDIT: Who is this Spook guy anyway???

jigman29

I could see people calling him out if he had to go through a long drawn out lottery process and didn't get a tag then it would be easy to see him trying to cheat.But if this is a tag you can buy over the counter then why would he do this having so much to lose.I for one would back him on it without a second thought.Laws are so complex anyone can make a mistake and he should have researched better but what happened happened.I for one don't think he should be burned at the stake for it and if the local guy down the street shot a spike in the same fashion then I am sure he would pay a fine and go home not make national headlines.

BreamReaper

http://blogs.kansas.com/outdoors/

-Paying $10,000 in fines for the crime.

– $10,000 in restitution for the value of the buck.

–Spann is also in three years federal supervised release.

– He has been ordered to “forfeit to the United States the antlers in question, the mold of the antlers and any exact reproduction of said antlers.”

– Spann also had his hunting privileges suspended for six months within the United States, and for an additional six months within the state of Kansas.
Maybe he was one of the guys pardoned by Obummer last week.:huh: That stinks to have all those things to repay. Over a stinkin deer.

The Bible also sez"He without Sin cast the first stone".RC
It does say this!