The Best Turkey Gun, what's your favorite....Mossberg 835 vs SuperNova vs. 870

bwarren2

I am sure this will get varying opinions, but curious what everyone's suggestion would be for a Turkey gun. I've looked at the Mossberg 835's, Benelli Supernova and Rem 870. There are a lot of options out there. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

R

redneckcamo

835 ,tuff as nails ,shoulders good,several different camos,comes with dern good choke fer turkeys......I love mine!!

Gut_Pile

Remington 870. Doesn't kick as much as the 835 and not as bulky as the nova. Best pump that has ever been made. And personally I would take a Browning BPS over 835 and nova.

Huntinfool

Best one I've ever OWNED is my 870. But I know that Benelli makes one heck of a gun. That's my next purchase. But I'll always have an 870 in my closet.

Wetzel is right. If you take care of an 870 (as with most guns) it will last just about forever. I took mine completely apart a couple of days ago. It's so freaking simple....not much to break. It comes apart in like 4 pieces.

cletus T

i use a 835 and 870. but really dont care what brand it is as long as it turns a birds head to jelly.

Nitro

Banned
i use a 835 and 870. but really dont care what brand it is as long as it turns a birds head to jelly.

Love that quote. I prefer to knock out eyes and smash beaks. (but Jellyhead works too)

I am left handed and my primary Turkey Guns are BPS. One in 12 and the Big Buster- the BPS 10...

I also have several LH 870s that see duty.

Novas and Mossies rattle........:bounce:

sdguide

I personally use a Winchester 1300 12 Ga. pump, 3".
They don't make it anymore and If I had to buy a new turkey gun, I'd go with the Remington 870.

jcarter

Banned
never owned an 870 or nova. i killed a few with the 835 but missed the last 2 i shot at it with in the 30-35 yard range. probably not the guns fault. but once you lose confidence in a gun you might as well throw it in the dumpster, or sell it as the best turkey killing gun you ever owned.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
All Ived ever used is a Model 12, and an 870. Both had fine results. I expect I`m gonna like my GunDocc Special the most though.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I've never shot or held an 870 but I've owned an 835 and Nova and I prefer the Nova.

Darrell

Jeff Raines

I have an 835 and have killed a tom out at 60 yds with it.I have never shot an 870.
The 835 I have is from when they first started making them,so no ported barrel and it will put a hurting on ya when sighting in.
It only took one shot and very watery eyes to learn that you don't put the thumb of your trigger hand over the top of the stock,when shooting it

01Foreman400

Staff member
I don't care what gun your shooting a 3.5" shell is going to kick hard. When your shooting at game though you never feel it.

Darrell

bwarren2

3.5 inch shells

I'm planning on shooting 3's regardless. 3.5's are great but not a necessity IMO. I'm sure this will spawn a different thread :banginghe