Choke Recommendation

SVT28

Hey Team, like many of you I’m getting pretty excited about my first Georgia Turkey hunt since moving back. I’ll be hunting my family’s 70 acre farm in Bartow County and I have 3 gobblers and half a dozen hens on cam/property so there is opportunity for sure.

I have 3 shotguns to choose from and would like some recommendation on which gun to use what choke. I’ve ran a few different turkey loads through all 3 with the tightest factory chokes and I’m still not getting acceptable groups. My options are all 12 gauge.

Benelli Montefeltro
Remington 11-87 Sportsman
Mossberg 835

The Mossberg is the only pump option and has the longest barrel. I’m comfortable with all three and have taken countless doves, ducks, and quail with them. There are a lot of aftermarket turkey chokes out there, spending money doesn’t bother me although a TSS choke and ammo seems unnecessary for my likely shot 50 yds and in.

Thoughts or real life feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

SVT28

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Hey Team, like many of you I’m getting pretty excited about my first Georgia Turkey hunt since moving back. I’ll be hunting my family’s 70 acre farm in Bartow County and I have 3 gobblers and half a dozen hens on cam/property so there is opportunity for sure.

I have 3 shotguns to choose from and would like some recommendation on which gun to use what choke. I’ve ran a few different turkey loads through all 3 with the tightest factory chokes and I’m still not getting acceptable groups. My options are all 12 gauge.

Benelli Montefeltro
Remington 11-87 Sportsman
Mossberg 835

The Mossberg is the only pump option and has the longest barrel. I’m comfortable with all three and have taken countless doves, ducks, and quail with them. There are a lot of aftermarket turkey chokes out there, spending money doesn’t bother me although a TSS choke and ammo seems unnecessary for my likely shot 50 yds and in.

Thoughts or real life feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

SVT28
Phone Sumtoy, they work with all kinds of guns and pattern enough to know what works. They may have something sitting on the shelf as they run batches through their shop. I’m happy with the help they gave me.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Curious as to what kind of ammo you tried . The reason I asked is Ive got a collection of turkey chokes and have shot every kind of turkey loads made besides TSS . I’d feel comfortable with my factory xtra full choke shooting Winchester longbeard ammo

tr21

I have 2 835's 1 with a rhino .690 and the other with a primo's jelly head. I shoot Nitro ammo. co. 4x5x7 heavy shot in both and it patterns great. shooting a 835 with 3.5's you dont want a real tight choke.0404131807.jpg

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Curious as to what kind of ammo you tried . The reason I asked is Ive got a collection of turkey chokes and have shot every kind of turkey loads made besides TSS . I’d feel comfortable with my factory xtra full choke shooting Winchester longbeard ammo
Do you remember how tight yours is? I think I’ve a 700 and 665, with the 665 in there now.

antharper

Staff member
Do you remember how tight yours is? I think I’ve a 700 and 665, with the 665 in there now.
My factory chokes are 35 years old and I have no idea . I don’t use them , my favorite is a try-glo that came free with a set of sights . Or maybe the sights were free

antharper

Staff member
I also have a Carlson’s turkey choke specifically for longbeard ammo and after a miss and about blowing ones head completely off I took it out and put my cheap tru glo back in

SVT28

I’ve tried the full choke on the 11-87 and Mossberg 535 with Double X 4 and 5 shot 3”, also some older Remington gold/green box 3” 5 shot. Results are ok at 10 to 20 yds but I’m not good with it.

Bought a Carlsons Longbeard XR 660 choke for my 535 and some more ammo today including 3” and 3.5” 5 shot Longbeard XR ammo and Federal TSS. Will try some patterning this weekend, I suspect the extended Carlsons choke is will improve things quite a bit. Standby

SVT28

Hillbilly stalker

I hunt with a 870 and or my 11-87. A factory Remington "Turkey super full" choke combined with a 2 oz. Winchester Supreme #5 will bust ones head like you dropped a tomato at 40 yards. I have stretched the barrel (accidently) and killed a handful at 50 yards. I prefer 40 and under. There may be a better combo out there for the gun, but I don't need it. It throws a great pattern the way it is.

steveus

When I first started turkey hunting about 25 years ago I bought a Briley Super Turkey choke, 12 ga., .665. Throws one of the best patters I've ever seen, no need to try anything else.

chase870

Possum Sox
I hunt with a 870 and or my 11-87. A factory Remington "Turkey super full" choke combined with a 2 oz. Winchester Supreme #5 will bust ones head like you dropped a tomato at 40 yards. I have stretched the barrel (accidently) and killed a handful at 50 yards. I prefer 40 and under. There may be a better combo out there for the gun, but I don't need it. It throws a great pattern the way it is.
I have a childs fortune in aftermarket chokes nothing patterns better in my 870 than a factor Turkey super full and 2 Oz's of #5's