Finally got a day to shoot - decent patterns, weird issues with Apex

ssramage

Better late than never I suppose. Work, family, and baseball obligations have had every non-rainy day off tied up over the last couple of months. Finally got out today and put my gun through the paces with a new choke and several new loads.

Gun is an NEF single shot 20 gauge. Choke for the last 10+ years has been a Colonial Arms X-Full turkey .570 and has always done really well, but it is VERY open with the new TSS loads. I picked up a Sumtoy .562 to give it a shot and see what a tighter pattern looks like. Patterns looked like the below (count in 10" circle at 40 yds):

Federal TSS #9 (Colonial Arms - Baseline): 146
Federal TSS #9 (Sumtoy): 242 w/ plenty left in the 20"
Federal TSS #8x10 (Sumtoy): 242 w/ most even 20" pattern
Apex Ol Tom Blend #8x10 (Sumtoy): 328 w/ ok 20" but spotty in places
Apex Ninja #8.5 (Sumtoy): 304 w/ worst 20" pattern of all tested

I tested a Fed TSS #9 at 20 yds and it is a lot tighter than I'm used to, but workable if I do my part. It put every pellet inside about a 7" circle.

Overall, the Apex threw the best #s on paper, with killable 20" patterns but not as even as the Feds. The weird thing about the Apex loads was that each of them I shot failed to eject from my gun. Both spent shells got stuck in the barrel and I had to push my cleaning rod down the barrel to dislodge. I have never had this issue with the gun, but I'm assuming the Apex loads must be loaded way hotter than the Feds. Hard to trust something like that in a hunting scenario, regardless of the patterns.

Gadget

Yep sounds like they are running too much pressure and swelling the shell

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Despite being within SAAMI pressure limits, some mfg's shells are difficult (and don't) extract and eject in some pumps and autos. Shotshell companies no longer use pure brass heads but use steel heads washed with brass. Steel heads don't expand and contract like the old solid brass heads. I have had problems with some brands of modern shells in a Supermag, Ithaca M37s and a Win. M12. The irony of the Remington Supermag (NIB) was that it couldn't extract Remington promo dove loads but cycled Winchester dove loads just fine. Sometimes all it takes is a chamber polishing to remedy the issue. Gil

ssramage

Despite being within SAAMI pressure limits, some mfg's shells are difficult (and don't) extract and eject in some pumps and autos. Shotshell companies no longer use pure brass heads but use steel heads washed with brass. Steel heads don't expand and contract like the old solid brass heads. I have had problems with some brands of modern shells in a Supermag, Ithaca M37s and a Win. M12. The irony of the Remington Supermag (NIB) was that it couldn't extract Remington promo dove loads but cycled Winchester dove loads just fine. Sometimes all it takes is a chamber polishing to remedy the issue. Gil

I've had cycling issues with semi-autos before, but this is a single shot. The shell expanded so much that the only way to remedy was to push it out from the barrel end.

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
I know it sounds dumb, but have you cleaned the barrel/chamber?

I'd send apex a message. A lot might have made it out with pressure issues. If you don't want them send em my way.

ssramage

I know it sounds dumb, but have you cleaned the barrel/chamber?

I'd send apex a message. A lot might have made it out with pressure issues. If you don't want them send em my way.

Yep. I clean thoroughly before patterning and run a bore snake after every load.

I'm going to talk to Apex next week. If I can't get it resolved I'll be letting them go to pick up what works. I think I have about 5 or 6 boxes total.

Gadget

I remember some guys sent Nitro loads in to have tested and they came back grossly over SAAMI pressure specs. I have copies of some of the lab reports somewhere.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've had cycling issues with semi-autos before, but this is a single shot. The shell expanded so much that the only way to remedy was to push it out from the barrel end.
Should've read your OP more carefully. As Gadget said, the load is too hot. I've had shells that wouldn't cycle in pumps but would easily extract in break actions. Gil

Gadget

You only need around 1100fps with tss 9s, 8s are good at only 1,000

ssramage

Sent a message to Apex on Facebook. Their initial response was they've never had that happen, everything is loaded under SAAMI specs, and my gun must be old... ?

WFL

Look at the face of the shell see what the primer looks like. Now a few thing will make the stick. One is cheap brass on some shells now because of $$$ some are not like the old. Now I have seen if a chamber has been polished or honed and is over size (takes more then a few thousands). Then you get into pressure. One thing you can do is try a more open choke to see if that will help. Lets just say you on that fine line (i was told pressure was tested with cylinder bore) The more you choke the more you bring pressure. I know on target barrels with chambers match to the shell you will see a change in the shell with choke change.